chapter thirty seven

Three months later...

Sophie's POV

"Sophie! I need to leave! Let's go!"

"I'm going!" 

I was rushing to finish my math homework. I was up too late watching Grey's Anatomy and talking to my online friends. They were safe and real people but Mom couldn't know that I was talking to strangers.

"Grab the baby bag from his room!"

I stuffed everything in my backpack and grabbed the baby bag before running down stairs nearly falling on my face.

"Miss girl you are making me late to work."

"I'm sorry mom."

"Car now. We'll discuss why you were up so late when I get home from work."

I smiled grabbing my coffee and grabbing Henry's lunchbox. 

Mornings would usually be way less chaotic but Dad had to work a big case so Mom was the only parent.

We had to first drop Henry at school. My old elementary. Made memories flood back.

"Bye Henry! Remember that Dad's going to pick you up from aftercare. No more taking the bus."

"Ok mommy!" 

We then had to drive to the BAU. Michael has been going to the BAU nursery for a few weeks now as Mom was back on cases. We parked and I grabbed my backpack.

"I'll grab the baby."

I walked to his door and unbuckled him. We walked into the building and dropped Michael off at his baby care. 

"School time."

"Why did you remind me?"

"Did you finish your homework?"

"Yeah..."

"Are you sure about that?"

"Yes mom."

I made a mistake. I rolled my eyes. 

"I saw that."

"I'm sorry."

"Phone. Now. You'll get it back after school."

She reached out her hand and I handed it to her. I deserved it.

When we got out of the elevator she kissed my forehead and said goodbye until she had to go work and I had to go to school.

Around lunch time I realized they were still here. No case? 

"Hungry?" My mom said holding up her cheetos.

I reached into my bag and pulled out mine and we both laughed.

After lunch I had to go back to school. I didn't have a phone so I hadn't checked in with Jack today. It was Thursday so we had soccer. 

"And with that you are done for the day. See you tomorrow!"

I packed up my things and ran to Hotch's office to see no Jack. I slowly backed out to meet Hotch staring at me. 

"Jack isn't here today. He's staying after school and going straight to practice. I also think your mom was looking for you."

"Oh yay!"

He looked down. What did I do? I was just getting my phone back? It was after school?

As I was walking to the conference room I bumped into Aunt Em. 

"Your mom needs to see you."

"I heard..."

She smiled and walked away until I was met with my mom and Uncle Spence talking.

My eyes met with theirs and Uncle Spence smiled at me and walked out.

"Hey Soph. How was your day?"

"Better actually. Are you going to take me to soccer today? Jack isn't here so I was just wondering..."

"Actually, you aren't going to soccer today. Your dad is picking up Henry now and I'm gonna finish here really quick. Can you go grab the baby so we can go home?"

"Yeah..."

I walked to the elevator and went to the second floor to go get Michael. After I headed back up to the BAU floor.

"There's my baby. Let's go Soph."

I said bye to everyone and we left. Car ride was silent except for the music playing in the background.

When we got home I went to the kitchen table to finish my homework. When it was done my mom came and sat next to me.

"Here. Your grades slip again and I catch you doing homework in the morning and the phone becomes mine for longer. Also I want to meet these online friends of yours. Understand?"

"Yes."

I grabbed my phone and walked up stairs. I showered and plopped on my bed. Opening my laptop to Zoom. 

"Hey girls!"

Alex. JJ. Charlie. Halia. Girls that have made my life so much better. My life of no friends.

Just as we began to laugh about something Alex was doing, my mom opened the door.

"You must be the girls she's been talking about?"

I introduced everyone and she talked for a little while before walking out.

"Lights out in an hour peanut."

"Ok mom. Goodnight."

I didn't sleep that night. Talked with them until six am. The pure bliss. Happiness. 

Online friends could be safe. Just give them a chance. They may turn your world around.