Chapter Fifty Four

a few hours later

Remus woke up, clutching his shoulder.

"What happened?", he groaned, staring at the three friends. "Lily-- what are you doing here? Where's Pads?", he asked.

"Remus, we need to tell you something.", Peter said slowly.

"Let's get him to the hospital wing first, Wormtail.", James said.

hospital wing.

"Where is Sirius?", Remus asked.

"Moony, something happened last night. With-- the wolf.", James said slowly.

"Did-- I hurt him, didn't I? Shit, no, no, he's okay, right?", Remus asked.

"He- he told Snape how to get in to the tunnel. He tried to get in, I stopped him before he was seriously hurt.", James said quietly.

"He didn't. He didn't. If this is a prank, it's not funny.", Remus said, his heart speeding up.

"I'm so, so, sorry, Moony. He- he said he wasn't thinking, he never does.", James rambled.

Remus didn't hear the rest of the sentence, staring up at Lily and Peter who looked at him with sad eyes.

"Can we-- can we go back to the dorm?", Remus asked softly. James nodded his head quickly, "Of course, Remus, let's go.".

common room

They walked in, the students looking at them as they walked in. As they walked into the room, Sirius was sitting on his bed, staring.

"I thought I told you to get out.", James growled.

Sirius flinched visibly, and Remus got a good look at him. He had dried blood on his face, and there were dark circles under his eyes.

"Rem, I- I'm sorry, I didn't--", Sirius gulped, ignoring him.

"Don't, Sirius.", Remus said, looking at him for the first time. He heard Lily and the two boys leave, until there was a silence in the room.

"Moony--", Sirius gulped. "Don't fucking call me that.", Remus yelled. Sirius flinched.

"Mo- Rem, please, I'm sorry.", he repeated, sounding like a broken record. Remus reached for his bracelet, ripping it off.

"We're done.", Remus spat, throwing it at him.

"Don't say that, Remus, I love you, I didn't-- please, Remus.", Sirius begged, snot running down his face as he scrambled for the bracelet.

"I loved you, Sirius.", Remus cried out. "Loved?", Sirius asked, his voice cracking.

"Loved.", Remus said.

"Remus, look at me.", Sirius said softly. Remus had the urge to kiss him, but he stopped himself.

"Get out, freak.", Remus spat. He clenched his fist, forcing himself to not react to the hurt look on Sirius' face.

"Rem.", Sirius said quietly.

 "Just leave, Sirius. I hate you."

"If that's what you want.", Sirius said softly.

Sirius stepped out of the dorm, tripping over the step.

He looked up into the stony face of James. James opened his mouth as he saw the broken bracelet in Sirius' hand.

Sirius looked at him hopefully, thinking he was going to say something, but James closed his mouth.

"Goodbye.", was all James said, closing the dorm door in his face.

James, Peter, and Lily stepped in, looking at Remus who was still closing his eyes, clenching his fists.

"Remus.", Lily said, walking towards him. Remus fell into her arms, crying.

"He- he said he loves me, Lily, and I said-- I told him I loved him. I called him a freak.", he sobbed.

"I know, Remus, it's going to be okay.", Lily said comfortingly, hugging him tightly.

"I'm sorry.", Remus said tiredly. "What is up with you and-- what is up with you saying sorry for everything?", Peter flushed, trying to cover his mistake.

"What are you sorry for, Remus?", Lily asked.

"I-- me and Sirius. He's your brother, James, and I messed that up.", Remus said.

"No, you didn't, Remus. He- he fucked up. That's on him.", James said, with some difficulty.

"Where is he?", Remus asked, after some silence.

"I don't know.", James said, with an air of finality.

"Dumbledore wants to see you tomorrow.".

Sirius wandered around Hogwarts mindlessly. Where would he go?

He knocked on a familiar office. "Minnie!", he said, urgently.

"Mr. Black. Come in.", McGonagall said, after recovering at the initial shock.

"Minnie, I know this is a lot to ask, but can I stay here? I can sleep on the ground.", Sirius asked.

"Mr. Black, why aren't you in your dorm?", she asked, hesitantly.

"They hate me. I got kicked out. I fucked things up, Minnie, please.", he said tiredly.

"Go ahead, Mr. Black. You will not sleep on the ground, get on the couch.", she sighed.

Sirius laid down on the sofa, not going to sleep for a while.

dumbledore's office

"Mr. Lupin, I trust you know why you're here?", Dumbledore asked. "My fucking boyfriend sold me out for a prank.", Remus snorted.

"Sorry.", he said, grimacing.

"Mr. Lupin, I do not wish to interfere in your love life. However, I called you up here to tell you that our actions define us, not only our good ones, but our bad ones as well. Sirius made one mistake, do not let that define him. He was in the wrong. He has been kicked off the Quidditch team, for starters.", Dumbledore said, softly.

great hall

Remus heard whispers as he walked in, heading straight to the table.

"Looks like he broke up with the blood traitor.", he heard snickers from the Slytherin table. He clenched his fists, ignoring them.

"What did Dumbledore say?", Peter asked, his mouth full. Remus shook his head. "Nothing much.", he admitted.

"Are we going to Hogsmeade today?", Alice asked. James nodded, swallowing the last of his food.

"You lot go on. I'll stay here.", Remus said softly. "We're not leaving you, Moony.", James said.

Remus sighed. "Fine. I'll come.", he said.

"Mr. Black, you're not to go to Hogsmeade today. Detention, remember?", James heard a professor say.

"Sorry. Yes, professor.", he said robotically. "I'll be in your classroom, then?", he asked.

"I'll see you there.", Professor Boltknox nodded.

Remus didn't look up from his plate. James looked at Remus, his eyes hard.

"What happened?", Marlene asked Lily.

"I- I wish I could tell you, Mar, but I can't.", Lily sighed.

"Let's go.", Remus said, standing up. "Three Broomsticks?", Alice suggested, standing up.

"Sounds good!", Peter responded, as they walked out.

Marlene nodded at Sirius as they passed him. Sirius looked right at her emotionlessly.

"Wormtail?", Sirius whispered, as a last effort. Peter stiffened visibly, and James put an arm around his shoulder as they walked away, leaving Sirius behind.