Chapter One Hundred Forty One

perdue desert

"Let's go.", Marlene said, grunting as she got up. "You have your wand?", Sirius asked, coughing into his shoulder. "Snapped.", Marlene groaned. 

"No- mine did too.", Sirius said, his eyes wide. "So we can't send a Patronus?", Marlene choked out. Sirius reached up to his neck, biting his lip, "My necklace is gone, too, Remus, he gave it to me.". 

"Think he'd be fine, 's long as we get back okay.", Marlene said firmly. Sirius nodded, "So I guess we're walking through the desert? Just until we find someone? Or a Floo?". 

"I guess so.".

flat 

"We're just supposed to wait?", Dorcas asked angrily, throwing her hands in the air. "I tried to get him to pickup the mirror, but it- it won't work.", James said frustratedly. 

"I tried the necklace.", Remus said softly. 

"Parchment must be gone, too.", Alice sighed.

one week later

Lily woke up to the sound of muffled crying. Dorcas, Alice, Frank, and Mary had all moved into the flat for the time being, but they were asleep in the living room. 

She stepped out of the warm bed, trying not to wake James next to her. 

"Remus?", she whispered. 

A sniffle came from the room, and Lily walked in. Remus was under a mound of blankets, his head popping up. "Sorry, I thought I cast the charm.", he said, his voice cracking, "Did I wake you up?"

"Shhh, no.", Lily said, climbing into bed with him. "I miss him.", Remus choked out, "Him and Marlene, I don't know what I'd do without them."

"I know.", she said softly, as Remus cried into her shoulder. "It smells like him.", he said softly. "Smells like wet dog.", Lily said, offering a half smile to Remus. 

He laughed thickly, "It really does."

two weeks later 

There was a knock on the door, and the group at the table froze. "I'll go.", Remus said, his mouth dry, standing up, as he stumbled, cursing as he hit his toe on the table. 

He opened the door, and there was Dumbledore, standing at the group of people standing, waiting expectantly. "Two bodies were found. They- they are unidentifiable, because of the bomb, but they match the physical descriptions of Ms. McKinnon and Sirius."

A silence passed, and the only sound was the clock ticking. 

Frank was the first to speak, his voice thick, "You're sure it's them?"

"Not completely,  but it is most probable.", Dumbledore cleared his throat, "I'm so sorry for your loss."

Lily fell to the ground, a strangled sob escaping her mouth. Remus didn't process the words, and Peter just gaped at him. 

"You sent them there.", Dorcas choked out, tears streaming down her face. "Ms. Meadowes, they knew the risk-"

"Professor, I think you should leave.", Alice choked out, "I'm sorry."

Dumbledore merely nodded, "They're having a funeral, in two hours.", he said, closing the door to the flat. 

James was clutching the edge of the table, his knuckles white, his eyes pooling, "He can't be-- they have to be okay. They're okay, right?", he asked, his voice cracking.

Remus couldn't move, he stood there, frozen. The room was spinning, and everything went black. 

His last thought was about Sirius.