Chapter Eighty Five

order mission

"Ready for your missions?", Kingsley called, looking out at the tables.

"Evans, Torres, Yang, Hunt. You're going to Brighton. Now. There's been Death Eater sightings there-- just as a precaution, you're going there. That's the only mission I have for you today. The rest of you, go home.", McGonagall said, her voice ringing through the tunnel.

"Lily, please be careful.", James whispered, kissing her softly as she threw her coat on, kissing him back. "I love you, Potter. I'll be safe.", she said, looking at the other boys, hugging Marlene, Dorcas, and Alice.

"Congratulations, Potter, Evans. You too, Prewett and Longbottom. I expect an invitation to the weddings.", she smiled.

"Hunt, you got everything?", McGonagall asked. "I do. Thanks, Professor.", Stanley said quietly.

"Not everything. Mr Hunt, follow me.", Kingsley said quietly, motioning for Stanley to follow him to the back.

"Kingsley, what the fuck? I'm about to go on a mission, I can't have you--", he was cut off, Kingsley pressing his lips to his own. "I'm sorry, Stanley, I'm so sorry. I'm sorry, I love you, I love you.", Kingsley sobbed, his facade cracking.

"I have to go. We'll talk about this later."

"Please be safe.", Kingsley whispered, as Stanley walked to the fireplace.

"Be careful, Red.", Sirius whispered, as Remus and Peter hugged her. "Stop, you're going to make me cry. I'll be fine.", she smiled.

"I'll be back before you know it. Promise. Then we can start planning our wedding.", she said, kissing James one last time as she stepped into the fireplace, the other three following her.

flat

Emily came over, helping to make the dinner. "Lily's a feisty one. She'll be fine.", she said softly, setting the table, as Peter served the food.

"You're right. She will.", James said, twisting the ring around his finger.

a few minutes later

"Prongs, are you sure you don't want one of us to stay with you?", Remus asked quietly, as Sirius nodded in agreement.

"No-- I'm fine, really. You guys go. I'll be fine, I promise."

"James-", Peter stuttered.

"No, really. I promise, I'm fine."

"If you're sure.", Remus nodded, heading to sleep, Sirius following him, and Peter following Emily.

james' dream

Stanley, Yang, and Torres stumbled through the fireplace, blood all over their clothes.

Everyone in the tunnel stared, agape. James turned around, his face paling.

"Where is she?", he asked, stumbling closer to the three of them. Stanley stared at James, his eyes wide.

"James, I'm so sorry.", he said, his voice cracking.

"No-- no, no no.", Sirius muttered, as Remus put a hand to his mouth, Peter letting a tear slip out of his eyes. Everything seemed to go in slow motion as James saw the girls let out choked sobs.

"Where is she? Where is she?", James asked, panic rising in his voice.

"Come on, James, you don't want to see--", Torres said, tears streaking down her face.

"Prongs-- come on, Prongs, you don't want to--", Sirius cried, closing his eyes as he tried to drag James away.

James looked down, seeing her. Lily's hair spread out around her hair like a halo, her eyes unseeing as she stared into the sky. Blood pooled around her chest.