Chapter Ninety

the next night-- james' bachelor party

"James, you're going to be fine.", Sirius said, laughing as James got another drink. "I'm getting married to Lily Evans. Tomorrow.", James slurred, his eyes wide.

"Yes, we've established that.", Remus snorted, stretching his legs out.

"Twenty three times.", Peter smirked. "What if I fall?", James slurred.,

"You won't fall."

"But what if-", James stuttered.

"It'll be perfect."

"Did we send out the invitations?", James asked, wobbling on his feet. "You are so drunk. Yes, we did.", Frank laughed.

"Did we send one to Minnie?", James asked. "Yes.", Sirisu rolled his eyes.

"I didn't pick a best man!", James realized, smacking his head with his palm.

"Prongs, calm down.", Remus tried.

"Eeny, meeny, miney, mo.", James said, closing his eyes, and pointing at the four other boys. "Is he actually-", Peter muttered, stifling a laugh. "He's nervous, leave him alone.", Frank smirked.

James opened his eyes, grinning as his finger landed on Sirius. "Padfoot!", he cheered, wrapping his arms around Sirius.

the next morning -- august 17, 1978

Lily woke up, surrounded by Alice, Mary, Emma, Marlene and Dorcas.

"I'm getting married today.", she yawned. "Mhm.", Mary groaned, clearly still hungover.

"Where are the boys?", Dorcas yawned.

"Probably asleep.", Marlene snorted, snuggling into Dorcas' chest.

"I can't believe you're getting married!", Mary cried, tears welling up in her eyes. "Stop it, I'm going to cry", Lily said playfully, wiping at her eyes.

"Time to get ready.", Dorcas smiled, as they ushered Lily into the bathroom, Emma following with Lily's dress in her hands.

"You need something new, something borrowed, something old, and something blue.", Alice said, handing her a box. Lily opened it to a pair of gold hoop earrings. "Al-- oh my god, these are beautiful.", she gasped, putting them on and hugging her.

"Something borrowed.", Dorcas smiled, handing Lily a bracelet with a spiral design on it. "Something old.", Marlene said, smirking as she handed Lily an old page from a book.

"Marlene!", Lily snorted, reading the page. On the first day of school, the girls had huddled around a notebook, writing down random things. She folded the page carefully, setting it down.

"Something blue.", Mary said, handing her a bouquet of baby blue lilies.

The boys were in James' room, their suits on. James stared at himself in the mirror, flattening down his hair. Sirius looked at James, his mouth dropping open.

"What did you do to your hair?", he gaped. "I used my dad's potion.", James said sheepishly, "Help me.".

Frank walked over, his eyes widening. "Merlin's pants!", he said, surprised.

"Shut up and help me.", James said nervously, glaring as Peter and Remu snorted in the background.

"Sit down, and let me work my magic.", Frank said, pulling out his wand.

"Frank, if you make me bald..."

"Where's Evans?", James asked, as they climbed into the limo. "It's bad luck-- you can't see the bride yet.", Peter laughed. "Sirius, do you have your speech ready?", Remus asked, putting a hand on his knee.

"Mhm. You look exceptional, Mr. Lupin.", Sirius smiled, putting his hand over Remus'. "You look exceptional as well, Sir Sirius.", Remus smiled back, as the driver began the drive to the garden.

"Okay, I don't care. I know-- I know it's against the rules, but it's our wedding. Professor Dumbledore will be there but you two, Marlene and Dorcas-- and Stanley and Kingsley. They're dancing together.", James said firmly, "Lily and I talked about it the other day."

"James-", Remus said, touched. "Thank you.", Sirius whispered, his eyes sparkling. "Of course.", James nodded at them, his face solemn. "And if they say anything, they'll have to face a very angry bride.", he laughed.

"Evans is a force to be reckoned with.", Frank laughed.

"You ready, Prongs?", Peter asked, as the car slowed down next to the beautiful gardens they selected. "Ready.", James said, turning to the boys. "Guess we aren't kids anymore, huh?", he laughed, his eyes crinkling.

"We're right behind you.", Sirius smiled.

"I'm not gonna cry.", Sirius said firmly, grabbing Remus' hand. "Sure you're not, love.", Remus laughed.