Chapter 17: Still Here, Testing

I saw this Insurgent poster at one of the movie theaters in our mall. Tbh I'm so excited.

Chapter 17: Five Days Later

I lay on the floor, my body curled on its side, just waiting for the Erudite Scientists to come and test me. I never should have walked down that path that day.

I never should have even acknowledged that the person had bumped my shoulder; it happens everyday in the bustling compound. I stare at the floor, which is so shiny that I can almost see my reflection.

It soon crosses my mind again. I did; I did acknowledge him, Daniel; I did get into a fight with him; and unfortunately, I did shoot him and kill him.

It's been a total of six, agonizing days since Daniel, the smart mouth Candor Transfer, died, all because of my foolish actions. Six days and I'm still here.

A tear springs from my eye, followed by another and another, until they are flowing freely from my eyes and rolling down my cheeks, onto the shiny floor.

I push my body upwards from the ground, reluctantly having enough strength in my arms to perform that action.

The testing from the past three days has taken all of my energy away, and it's also not helping that I barely get anything to eat here, maybe one meal each day since I arrived.

I stand up, and walk to what has become my favorite part of my holding cell: the window.

My hands shakily reach up to grab the bars as I press my body toward the window, as if it's going to help me get out. But that will only happen in my dreams. Only in my dreams.

I look out at the city as far as my eyes can visually see.

As my eyes travel towards the direction of the horizon, past the Amity farms and orchards, the marsh and the Hancock building, I see nothing but trees and tall, yellow grasses.

As my eyes travel to the right of the Amity farms, I see the crumpled buildings and train tracks that resemble my own home... The one place I wish that I was... The Dauntless Headquarters and the rest of the large underground compound.

My friends and family are there; I don't even know if they notice if I'm gone or not, they probably don't.

I turn around, and walk in the opposite direction, toward my bed. I prop my legs on the wall across from the one that I'm leaning against, and wait.

I sigh as I tap my combat boot clad feet together, looking at how worn out the soles are from my constant running. Yeah, they're so worn out because all you do is run from your problems, you fucking coward. I bite my lip when I hear the voices in my head again. They've been here ever since I found out about my Divergence, but mainly since I shot Daniel.

You're crazy if you think that anyone loves you. I bet your family hates you just as much as everyone else. You're a depressing piece of trash, Maddie. I bring my legs to my chest as I curl into a ball and lay my head on my kneecaps. I close my eyes.

It's not long after I close my eyes that I hear the sound of a door opening, and an electronic sound as a guard walks into my cell. "Come on. Time for testing." He walks over to me, and grabs my shirt.

He drags me to the small laboratory, my feet squeaking on the freshly waxed floors. The man scans his blue card, and the lab door opens. It's glass, and I see a circle of people dressed in blue standing inside.

They turn as the guard drops me onto the exam table. He nods, steps out, and shuts the door. I squint my eyes, the bright fluorescent lights of the compound are too bright, especially in this testing room. I feel extremely weak and a little light headed.