Chapter 87: Confrontations

Seven Nation Army-
The White Stripes
Tris

I sit down on the couch, and look up at the ceiling. Tobias is at work, and Hannah is asleep. I still can't believe that Maddie and Ty are having another baby.

It blows my mind, but it also makes me remember the day I found out about the triplets. It scared me, especially since I was so young. I know that Ty and Maddie can handle it though because they're older.

Maddie is already twenty, almost twenty one- another thing that blows my mind. But then again, so are Olivia and Hunter. Hunter and Ariana have their lives on the right track, and Olivia's getting there.

I still can't begin to fathom the fact that Olivia would be doing that behind our backs. I'll still love her no matter what she does, though.

I think back to that night, nearly twenty one years ago. It was the day after the rankings banquet- a night I can't forget, even if I try.

Tobias had told me that he had something to tell me. We went to the Pier, and I don't think the look on his eighteen year old face can ever escape my memory as he told me the terrifying news- The Erudite wanted to attack the Divergents.

"If I die, just know that I never wanted to leave you." He had told me, and that was when I realized that I was ready. He never wanted to leave me- it was enough to give me the courage to trust him and give him my all, he is the one.

And the result of that night, that wondrous night, was Maddie, Hunter, and Olivia.

Just as I close my thoughts, I hear a small warble of a cry- Hannah. I stand up, and walk up the stairs. I turn into Maddie's old room, remembering when she first moved into this room when we moved into it when Alexander was born. I look in the crib and see Hannah's little red face scrunched up and tear streaked.

"Oh baby." I say as I pick her up and grab a blanket. Maddie told me that Hannah likes to be swaddled, so I lay the blanket down on the changing table, and then Hannah on top of it. I wrap her tight, humming Twinkle Twinkle Little Star as I do so.

Once she's wrapped tightly, I cradle her in my arms and she soon silences her cries. I walk downstairs and shake together a bottle of formula.

It's a small bottle, but it'll work.

I then commence to sitting down to the couch, my back against the arm and my legs sprawled out across the couch. I feed Hannah, and the only sound that can be heard is the sound of her drinking the milk and gulping it down.

She finishes and cries, so I burp her. I pat her back carefully and listen as she lets out a small burp. I smile and kiss her as I walk back upstairs, now going to put her back to sleep since her eyes are beginning to droop and blink slower.

I walk into the nursery, and holding her carefully, about to lay her down, unwrapping her from the blanket before I do so, though.

I hold her carefully, sitting down in a rocking chair that Hunter built a year or so ago, and gently rock Hannah as I caress her stomach and head.

She gurgles, and I reach over to turn on some white noise- Sounds of wind blowing and waves crashing against rocks and rain pouring down.