Chapter 1: The Test

Greetings!
I am super happy to welcome you to the actual guts of my fanfic. Detergent was a prequel, only opening up the doors to what was about to come. Sure, it wasn't a very well-written story, and this one probably won't be either, but I try to work my hardest on it. This story has mature content, meaning that it isn't suitable for younger readers! Read at your own risk, ig. Thank you for understanding! Please enjoy my story! Also, vote and comment. If you have any questions, PM me. I'll always answer. Maybe not immediately, but I will eventually. I am taking over this account for my old co-author, Madison, just so you know.
Now for the story:

"Maddie, come on! Mom says that you need to be up and downstairs in five minutes!" My brother says as he beats on my door. I sigh, sitting up in my bed.

Ready for your aptitude test?

My mind almost seems to mock me when the thought crosses it, and my stomach lurches. I feel nauseous when I think about having to discover what I'm truly made of, just because I'm fine the way I am.

I walk over to my closet quickly and slide open the mirrored door, revealing a mass of black and maroon clothes, from pants to shorts to t-shirts and shoes, worn out combat boots that sit in the corner, waiting for me to wear them again.

I pull out a random maroon shirt and a pair of jeans, my typical outfit out every day. I then gaze at my combat boots, but finally deciding on sneakers. I grab my jacket, sighing as I pull it on.

I pull my hair back into some form of a ponytail-bun, and walk to the bathroom. I put on mascara, just because my eyelashes are nearly non-existent without it, and brush my teeth.

"Madison! Hurry up!" I hear my mother across the hall and I sigh, opening the bathroom door. She rolls her eyes as she opens up my bedroom door, and I merely turn and walk downstairs.

My brother and sister wait for me in the living room. "Where's Alex?" I ask my father when he emerges from the kitchen.

"Asleep. He's sick, so your mother will stay with him. But, there's nothing to eat here, so let's head to the Dining Hall." He opens the front door, and we all walk out.

We meet Zeke and Ashton on our way to the Dining Hall, just as we're crossing over the Chasm bridge. Zeke slaps a hand on my father's back, and I fold my arms over my chest, suddenly feeling a chill.

"Shut the fuck up!" Ashton exclaims as he looks at Hunter, who sighs. "Shut it! Seriously! Today's the day and I don't need your B.S. filling up my empty mind." He says as he closes his eyes and takes a deep breath in.

I look over at them and bite my lip. My sister is stick thin, so skinny that you can see her spine under her thin skin when she curls into a ball. My brother is only slightly muscular, just really lanky.

I, on the other hand, am not fat, but also not skinny. I'm not short like my mother, but I'm not talk like my father or brother either. My stomach isn't flat, it's slightly pudgy. I've always been insecure of myself.

It's just one thing that's always been an issue for me. Every mirror in the whole compound, the whole city—it's almost as if they're morphed, like these weird funhouse mirrors that I see down at the Pier.

"Maddie, you okay?" My father asks me. I snap my head up, looking straight into his dark blue eyes and nod.

"Yeah," I say as we step into the Dining Hall, "I'm fine."