Chapter 39: Capture the Flag

Song: Where are Ü Now- Skrillex and Diplo feat. Justin Bieber

••••

I step into the Initiates dormitory, and pull out my flashlight. I turn it on, and look to see if anyone is awake.

"Get Up!" I shout loudly. They all scatter. "Dress and Meet at the train tracks in five minutes or you're out." I say.

Ty and Hunter stand out in the hallway. They're debating who is going to be team captain. I step out, and they're playing Rock, Paper, Scissors.

"Who won?" I ask. "We're tied." Ty groans. "Rock, paper, scissors!" Ty says, and throws out a rock. Hunter throws a paper, and Ty curses himself.

"Yes." Hunter shouts, jumping up and down. "Alright, c'mon, we need to get to the tracks." I say, laughing.

We jog to the door near the net, which leads to the tracks near the pier. I pull out the boxes that we lined up earlier with the guns and paintballs. "No, honey, I got it. You're pregnant." Ty says.

"I can-" I start. "No risks. No regrets." He says sternly. He sets them down near the train tracks, and pulls out a gun and cartridge for each of the three of us.

I grasp the flags, handing Hunter the neon orange one. They illuminate and glow in the dark. I take the neon yellow-green one and shove it in my back pocket. He does the same with his.

While we wait for the initiates, I look at the box. It's a wooden crate, with PAINTBALLS written on it in spray paint on all capitals. Soon, Marie, Adam, and Trey arrive at the tracks. They grab a gun and package of paintballs each.

The wind whips loose pieces of hair from my ponytail into my face. I tuck them behind my ears to keep them from blowing.

Garrett and Jerry arrive with Hannah and Alyssa at their sides. They each grab a cartridge and gun. I hear metal on metal screeching, and I know the train is coming.

I sling my gun over my shoulder, and begin to sprint, and everyone else does as well. The train approaches, and I leap for the door.

I grab the handle, slamming my hand on the circular OPEN button, and as the door slides open, I climb in.

I lean against the wall, catching my breath. Soon, Ty and Hunter are in the train cart, as well as some of the initiates.

Ty slings his arm around me. "You okay?" He asks, pulling me to his side. "Yeah, just need to catch my... breath." I say. He nods, pushing the piece of hair that always falls into his face back.

Alyssa walks up to us. "Hey hottie," she says lightly. "How about a date?" Ty looks at her in utter disgust.

He holds up his left hand, rubbing his fingers on his ring. "Married." He says. "She doesn't have to know," Alyssa flips her ponytail back.

I step in. "She already does." I say, quietly, my voice threatening. "Why would he marry a bag like you?" She says, chewing her tongue.

"C'mere," Ty says. "Let me tell you a secret." Ty walks to the corner of the train cart, and puts his face to her ear. She listens intently.

My heart aches. What if he chooses her over me?

He pulls his arm back, and send a punch to her face. "I love her." He says.

Everyone looks in his direction. Alyssa stumbles back, trying to regain her balance.

She leans against the wall near the corner of the cart, gripping her hands to her cheek, which is red from the impact.