Chapter 65: Master of Plots.

"I have had quite the day."
Connor Franta
Omen- Disclosure f/ Sam Smith

The only thing my eyes and ears focus on are the slamming of Ty's combat boot clad feet on the cement as we run for the train.

Ty leaps for the train cart, pulling himself inside, and then sticks an arm out for me. "C'mon, Maddie." He cheers for me as I leap to the train, grabbing Ty's arm for extra leverage.

Once I am out of the steamy city air and in the air conditioned train cart, I notice that I'm hugging Ty. He hugs me as well, and I take a moment to just breathe in his scent- indulge it.

He pulls away and leans our foreheads together. "Hopefully we can get some closure." I say in reference to my problem with my mom. The mystery of the zipline.

The Hancock building emerges in the morning fog, and I inform Ty. He tucks a piece of my brown-blonde ombré hair behind my ear, and kisses my cheek.

"Let's do this." He comments, his voice barely a whisper. The Hancock building grows closer to our location, and Ty leaps out of the train.

I take a jump a few seconds later, feeling my jacket blow behind my body briskly, and land on my feet, jarring my knees. I walk over to Ty.

"Good?" I ask him. He nods, breathing heavily. "Good?" I nod as well, and we begin to jog to the Hancock building, a block away.

>>

"My dad said that the power box was on." Ty comments as he slams his finger on the arrow button pointing up on the elevator door.

The doors creak open, and, though I'm hesitant, I step inside the metal box. Ty follows, and he presses the one hundred button. The elevator speeds up as we travel higher, and I clutch my stomach as it drops.

"I miss my Hannah Bear." Ty says, staring ahead at the door, a sad look on his face. "I know that Ariana will take care of her, though." He finishes with a sigh.

I nod. My father's words echo in my head as we come to a stop and the doors open up. Focus on the common goal. The sound of wind whipping through the hole in the ceiling is unsettling.

A metal ladder lies resting against the ceiling hole, and I place my foot on it, testing to see if it's safe. It holds, and I step up the ladder, ignoring Ty's worried rambling from the bottom.

I emerge on the rooftop, and the wind almost blows me back. I walk around to the other side of the roof, and the wind is blocked by an air conditioning unit. I stand still, and see the zipline gear.

My mother slid off of this, dangling to another person's gear. I nearly break down thinking about how easily this all could have been avoided.

Ty soon stands beside me, and I turn to him, squinting in the bright sunlight. I pull my mouth into a sort of grimace look as I do so.

"So what are we looking for? I don't see anything up here," I say to Ty, staring out at the city skyline.

From this height, you can see the fence in its normal place, circling the city's perimeter- keeping the monsters out and keeping us safe, or so it's said.