Chapter 67: The Wedding

"Calm down, you will be fine," Maisey said as she was brushing through her sisters hair.
"But.. what if she changes her mind? What if I walk down the aisle and she won't be there?" Avrigg was rambling, those last anxiety feelings were popping up.
"That won't happen," Maisey grunted, "stop acting like a baby, this is your day you should be excited not worried."
"You're right," Avrigg sighed, "you're gonna do so much better at your wedding."
"Should be engaged for that first," Maisey chuckled, "I can't really kidnap Keith and force him into marriage."
"Would be funny to see though," Avrigg chuckled, "I never thought I'd have a wedding."
"Why not?"
"Because of my past, I never had friends growing up, well not until you were born," Avrigg said, "mom probably never told you this but when you were born and she gave you to me it was the first time I felt a spark of what friendship means. You didn't even know what friendship meant, but I knew that at that moment I had a best friend and that's what kept me going, despite all the hatred I got. And I had a hard time at the Garrison at first too, until I became close with Shiro and Adam, I owe them so much. And I always wondered, why me? Why did I need to look like some weird elf with a hair color nobody else has? And when I met my father it all became clear... I was never meant for earth and when I met Romelle.. well, that was special. I loved Nina, or at least I think I did, she was very manipulative so I believed certain things I usually wouldn't.. and because of Nina I gave up on the entire idea of love, because if somebody can not love me when I let all of my walls down.. why bother? And Romelle changed everything for me, I have never had anything in my life before that felt so real and pure... I never thought I'd love someone the way I love her."
"I'm proud of you," Maisey said as a tear of joy rolled down her cheek, "out of all the people I've met, you've had to struggle the most.. I could see in your eyes sometimes that it annoyed you when things came easy to me.. like friends. But you never let that cloud your judgement, no matter what you were always there for me. Other people would turn evil or end it all, but you kept fighting.. and you can be proud too, you should be proud of yourself. You have no idea how incredible you are."
"I don't know," Avrigg tried to shrug it off like usual, but Maisey wasn't the only one who saw right through her.
"Your sister is right," Vryss said as he stepped inside, all dressed up nicely in a black suit, "you are strong and determined, you've got that from your mother. Everyone was always rude towards you and you showed them real strength, you are different, you've always been different, but that didn't make you less special and beautiful. I look at you and I see a beautiful young woman who is about to marry the most quirkiest girl I have ever met."
Maisey and Avrigg both chuckled, Romelle was very quirky. He walked up closer and placed his hand on Avrigg's shoulder.
"Before I met your mother, I worked for the Galra and I did not know much about love, friendship or laughter," Vryss said softly, "I got readings one day that a blue lion was spotted around earth, but my ship broke down and I crashed. When I opened my eyes I saw your mother, if I recall it properly I was being rude and she threw me a sarcastic comment. I had no idea what sarcasm was, but your mother changed me for the better. And when we had you, I couldn't even begin to care about glory, power or the Galra. All I could care about was you and how I would do everything in my power to protect you. And as much as it broke my heart, I had to leave earth and join the Blades of Marmora because the only way I could protect you was by ending the war. I never knew you would end up on the very ship I was working on, call it faith if you might. When you said that you wanted to end a war you had only learned about five minutes earlier I realized you were much more like your mother than I ever could have imagined and just knowing that made me proud. And you will make me proud again today. You are my daughter, you could never disappoint me."
"That was beautiful," Maisey cried, "oh, my make up."
Vryss laughed as he placed a hand on Maisey's shoulder. She was so happy that after all that time Avrigg's father turned out to be the best Avrigg could ever ask for, he was a hero. It made her feel kind of sad that her own father never was one, her father was a coward who gave up on his family. She never wanted anything to do with him ever again and it's not like he even bothered to look for her after she stormed away.. so it was pretty obvious he didn't care.
It was fine that her actual Altean father was a prick, she had and extra Altean father figure that would always be there for her: Coran. Someday she might actually tell him how she feels about him, but for now she was just focussing on Avrigg and Vryss.
"Your hair is all ready," Maisey said as she took a step backwards to admire her masterpiece.
"Brilliant," Avrigg said as she got up from her chair. She changed into her wedding dress, it was a simple piece but still elegant and breathtaking.
"Are you ready?" Vryss asked Avrigg and she quickly nodded.