Chapter 25: Tailing A Comet

"Hey," Maisey said softly as she walked into Shiro's room, "how are you feeling? I thought you might be hungry so I asked Hunk to make you some food."
"Thank you, Maisey," Shiro said, "I'm feeling fine, everything's just a bit blurry."
"I understand," Maisey said, "don't eat too fast, since you haven't eaten in a few days you'll throw everything up again. You should eat slowly."
"How'd you know that?" Shiro asked.
"My.. Sister," Maisey said softly and Shiro nodded.
"Of course," Shiro said, "I'm glad to see you're okay Maisey, and thank you for being such a guide for Keith in the time I was gone."
"A guide? I don't know, where'd you get that?" Maisey asked.
"He told me," Shiro said.
"He.. told you that?" Maisey asked him confused.
"He said he couldn't have done it without you," Shiro said, "he said you made him a better leader and person."
"Woah, I, uh, I didn't know that," Maisey said, "I didn't think he'd be glad."
"Why's that?"
"Because when I disagreed with him I could be very rude about it," Maisey said softly, "he didn't always appreciate that."
"Maybe not, but he needed to hear it," Shiro said and Maisey smiled in that moment Keith entered the room and was surprised to see Maisey there.
"What are you doing here?" Keith asked with an uneasy tone in his voice and Maisey quirked a brow.
"Checking in on a friend?" She said confused.
"But, Shiro said he didn't wang anyone to see him until he was ready," Keith said.
"I understood that, but I couldn't find you and he needed to eat something so I ignored that," Maisey shrugged as she turned back to Shiro, "I'll leave you two to it. Don't eat too quickly and get well."
"Thank you," Shiro said softly and she left the two alone after receiving a very suspecious glance from Keith. She sighed and made her way back to the bridge.

"Great job out there, everyone," Shiro said, "you've really turned the tide in this war. I'm glad you never lost sight of the mission while I was gone.
"You're looking better. How are you feeling?" Lance asked Shiro from his spot besides Maisey.
"Good. Just trying to get rid of this weird headache," Shiro said.
"Guys, I think I have something here!" Pidge exclaimed, "so I downloaded intel from the Galra base we just defeated. I untied the quantum-folded encryption, and I found something on Lotor."
"Do you know where he is?" Lance asked.
"Well, not exactly, no, but the last three sightings of his command ship have been in the Va'Kar quadrant," Pidge answered.
"Nice work, Pidge. Although, those quadrants are massive," Shiro said, "how will we pinpoint his location?"
"Hey, that comet is made from the same material as Voltron," Hunk said, "maybe I can scan the emission spectrum for Fraunhofer lines, like when I found the Blue Lion!"
"But you know those emissions are subject to free induction decay. Those are exponential drop-offs," Pidge told Hunk as the other Paladins were intently listening to the two.
"Yeah, but if you could find a way to amplify the sensors–No, there'd be way too much interference. What if, instead, we increase the SA magnitude?" Hunk questioned.
"The spires of the Castle!" Pidge exclaimed excited.
"Genius!" Hunk added.
"I have no idea what either of them just said," Lance said.
"I don't know, something about space rocks and spires or something," Maisey rubbed the back of her head.
"Let's set a course for the Va'Kar quadrant while they get started on that detector. We need to work fast. Who knows what Lotor has planned for that comet?" Shiro said stern, and so they were on their way.

"Looks like the signal stopped in the Ulippa System. Activating long-range scanners," Pidge said.
"That's not Lotor's ship," Keith exclaimed.
"But the comet is in there," Hunk said.
"Okay, team, we need to get that–." Shiro began.
"Here's the plan, everyone," Keith began, "oh, I'm sorry. Go ahead, Shiro."
"We need to get that comet. They must be transporting it to that base. It'll be vulnerable during the transfer. That's the best time to strike," Shiro explained.
"Who the heck are these guys?" Lance questioned as he looked at the footage of the base that was housing the comet.
"I don't think they're moving the comet to that base. We need more information," Shiro said.
"You're right. You take the Black Lion. I'll stay with Coran in the Castle and provide support," Keith said and Maisey looked up at him in concern.
"Keith, are you sure?" Shiro asked him.
"I'm sure," Keith said softly as he folded his arms.