Chapter 2: Team Work?

"So how is life at the Garrison, I hardly ever see you," her mother said while eating dinner.
"Good, I'm getting good grades, I have two amazing friends and I really enjoy it there," Avrigg answered.
"When will you be going into space?" Maisey asked her eight year older sister who smiled warmly at the little girl.
"Well, I'm not sure but I know my best friend has broken many records already," Avrigg said, "he really is the best pilot I have ever met."
"Oh, that's really good," her mother said and she quirked a brow, "tell me something more, do you like him?"
Avrigg dropped her fork as she coughed slightly trying to hide her nerves, but clearly failing in the process.
"About that," Avrigg said nervous, "first of all their names are Shiro and Adam, they are gay."
Her mother blinked a few times, quite surprised, trying to figure out what to say exactly.
"What is a gay?" Maisey asked as she pricked her fork into another meatball and curiously looked from her mother to her sister.
She saw how Avrigg was blushing and trying to not burst out into laughter since it was such an obvious answer for her.
"That is when someone loves another someone from the same sex," her mother explained calmly and simple so she'd understand, "so like a man loves another man."
"And is that a bad thing?"
"No, everyone should be able to love whom they love," her mother said with a smile upon her face.
"Great!" Avrigg said quite clumsy and awkward, "because I have a girlfriend."
"Oh, mom, Avrigg is a gay," Maisey said serious as she smiled at her sister.
"Really?" Her mother asked, "what's her name?"
"Nina," Avrigg answered, "she is in my class, she's my engineer actually."
"So what is she like?" Her mother asked.
"Short, blonde hair, brown eyes, very funny and smart," Avrigg answered with a smile upon her face.
"Can I meet her?" Maisey asked excited, "mom, when can Nina come over?"
"I'd love to meet her too," her mother said, "why don't you invite her to dinner sometime?"
"I will call her after this one," Avrigg answered relieved.
"Do you love her?" Maisey asked Avrigg.
"Yes, I do actually," Avrigg answered who seemed happy about her little sisters excitement.
"That's great, you'll be going into space with the person you love someday!" Maisey said as she accidently dropped her drink on the floor, spilling milk everywhere, "I want that too! I want to go to the Garrison too mom! I want to go see new worlds with someone I love later!"
"I'm sure you will, and you'll be great," Avrigg said encouraging her sister. Their mother smiled proudly at her two daughters.

Maisey was peacefully asleep, dreaming about a memory with her family, everything seemed at peace but then the alarms went off. Scaring the crap out of her.
"AHH!" Maisey screamed as she fell out of her bed and bumped her head on the floor. She grunted as she rubbed on the upcoming bump upon her head.
"Paladins! Hurry, Zarkon is attacking!" Allura screamed dramatically.
Maisey ran quickly through the halls, tripping over her oversized pyjama pants as she was making her way over to the bridge.
Her hair was ruffled and went everywhere as her eyes were still half closed. She always needed some time to properly wake up, she wasn't a morning person it took at least two hours for her to be fully functional in the morning.
"You need to form voltron now!" Allura screamed, her voice echoed throughout the halls.
"Does she have to scream this early in the morning?" Maisey groaned as she tried to find her way to the bridge, but clearly not really knowing where to go just yet. All the halls looked the same to her.
"AH ALLURA IS DEAD!" Coran screamed, "her head fell off!"
"What the quiznak?" Maisey asked as she fell before moving forward once more. How did that happen exactly? A head doesn't just fall off right? Maybe that was different for Alteans?
"Wait! Her severed head is trying to speak to me," Maisey entered the bridge, "what is it Allura's head? What are your final words?"
Allura looked at Maisey and the others and grunted in frustration. Maisey was still very confused thanks to Coran and his story about Allura's severed head.
"Uh, Coran," Allura said softly, hoping he'd get off the floor and stop the act that he was putting on.
"Yes?" He asked overdramatic.
"It's over," Allura sighed. Maisey was the last one to enter besides Lance who was probably still sleeping. She wished she could still be sleeping.
"I know, if voltron had just been formed!" Coran shrieked, but when he opened his eyes he saw everyone else, "oh, time."
"I guess this wasn't an actual attack?" Shiro questioned.
"Better not because it took you guys.. Coran?"
"Seventy five degrees," Coran said determined, "oh, this is a meat thermometer."
"It doesn't matter how long it took, because it took you too long," Allura pointed at the group, "you must always be prepared to battle with Zarkon, look at you! Only Shiro is in uniform. Keith, Pidge, Hunk, Maisey where are your bayards? And Maisey.. did you bring your pillow?"
Maisey looked down and realised she had indeed taken her pillow with her. So what? She cuddled with a pillow, no big deal. So what she clutched onto the pillow when the alarms scared her?
"... no," she whispered awkwardly, "this is... my boyfriend?"
Pidge facepalmed, getting used to Maisey and her lame answers already as the others just stared at her in confusion.
Allura groaned and folded her arms, "and where is Lance?"
Lance then entered the room like he prepared a dramatic entrance, his skin all shiny from face products. He seemed so relaxed that it made Maisey slightly jealous since she still had this stressing feeling inside of her thanks to those alarms.
"Good morning everybody," he said casually, "what's going on?"
Keith looked at Maisey beside him, her hair was messy and unbrushed making it go everywhere like a bush, and he thought it was cute. He diverted his attention back to Allura, because no way would he ever let himself think that again.
Maisey however was falling back asleep and didn't notice she was leaning against Keith's shoulder as she fell asleep.
Keith started to blush and brushed her off, making her jolt awake and holding her pillow tightly in defense.
"Coran and I have been up for hours preparing the Castle," Allura said, "we have been running tests and decided to test you with it. Guess which one failed."
"Hey man, " Hunk yawned, "you have slept for ten thousand years, on monday I was still on earth and now I have made a space ride in a lion, fought an alien named Zarkon and had food goo in this weird Castle and that all in... what's date today?"
"It is the third quintant of the Spicolian movement.. Hump day!" Coran answered excited.
"I have no idea what that means," Maisey groaned as she burried her face in her pillow, clearly exhausted. Making Keith slightly smile at her cuteness, and hating himself for it afterwards.
"Yeah, it's a lot to process," Hunk replied.
"You need to understand the stakes of this mission," Allura said as she clicked some buttons, "over the last ten thousand years the Castle picked up distress beacons from the following locations. So, we have to assume that Zarkon has conquered almost the entire known universe."
Allura wiped over their universe map and showed them their solarsystem.
"Earth is here. An attack on your planet is inevitable," Allura explained.
"Oh, quiznak," Maisey groaned into her pillow not even really looking.
"Exactly, our mission is to free all those planets. Coran and I are preparing the Castle to leave Arus, during that time you have to learn how to form voltron," Allura said, "so we can begin fighting Zarkon."
"The princess is right. Lets get to your lions and start training," Shiro said.
"Yeah, just give me a minute," Maisey said as she rubbed in her eyes with her right hand as her left hand was holding onto the pillow.
"For what?" Shiro asked her confused and she could already hear Lance snort. Sometimes she hated it when he already knew what she was about to say. She knew that he knew. He probably knew her best.
"... to wake up," Maisey murmered as she tried to get her bedhead in order with her right hand.
"She is not a morning person," Lance chuckled as he wrapped an arm around his best friend to tried to remain awake as her feet shuffled over the cold floor.
"I need to borrow your moisturizer soon," Maisey said softly.
"Sure," he replied, "now go get ready, you look like a yeti."
"Am I a cute yeti?" Maisey chuckled as she leaned her head on his shoulder.
"The cutest," Lance shrugged. As the two walked arm in arm to get ready.
"You know, I don't think I will ever understand your weird friendship," Pidge said as she set her glasses straight.