Chapter 22: Slowdancing

It had been a long day and it was about to become even longer. After a long discussion between the Paladins they had decided to throw a diplomacy gala in order to gain more allies and also for the allies they had already made.
Several Blades would come, the freed planets and only people with a coded invitation would be allowed in by the Altean Gladiator robots. They didn't want to have the same experience they had on Arus, this time it woul be secured.
Coran had taken, Keith, Hunk, Pidge and Lance to go tuxedo shopping for the gala at the space mall, Allura and Maisey stayed back in the Castle, doing each others hair probably. The two girls seemed very excited to have the entire Castle to themselves.
"So there is absolutely no way we can get the mermaids into the gala?" Lance asked again.
"No, Lance, there is no way," Coran answered.
"But what about the wrong pool? They could get in there right?" Lance asked.
"Shut it, Lance," Keith sneered. If he had to hear the word 'mermaid' again he would lose it.
Lance grunted and folded his arms, they were on their way back to the Castle. Each and everyone had a tuxedo.
He just wished it would be over soon, there was no way this evening would be pleasant or enjoyable.
"So like, shouldn't we have dates for a gala?" Lance asked.
Those words made Keith jump and the image of Maisey on his arm popped into his mind. His heart skipped a beat and he wished nobody noticed his sudden strange behaviour.
"If Shay's there I'll ask her to be my date," Hunk said shrugging.
"I'm just fine by myself," Pidge answered casually.
"Well, Allura would be so glad that I will offer myself to be her date," Lance said, "so Keith, will you ask Maisey?"
He jolted, hitting his head against the wall behind him.
"Why would I do that?" He asked.
"Why not?"
"Because she's," what Keith? She's too perfect to be real? That would be smooth, "I'm the loner."

"Maisey, Allura we're back," Coran said once they made it onto the bridge.
"We're busy!" They called through a communicator and the two girls giggled.
"Girls," Lance shrugged as he looked at Keith, but Keith did not understand what he meant by that.
"What is that supposed to mean?" Keith asked confused.
"Never mind, Mullet," Lance said folding his arms.
"The guests will be arriving soon," Coran said, "you should get properly dressed."

An hour later the entire ballroom was filled with people, Keith was talking with Lance and Hunk. Maisey and Allura still hadn't arrived yet, he started wondering if they had vanished into a make-up box. But Lance had said that Maisey enjoyed these things so much that getting ready always took ages because she wanted to look perfect. So that's probably why it took so long for the two girls to arrive. Keith was a little jealous that Lance knew her so well, they did everything together since they were little kids.
"Oh, woah," Lance said astonished as he looked up to the stairs, Keith turned around curiously to look at what Lance was looking at.
On top of the stairs stood Maisey in a beautiful red and white dress, her hair was neatly done and her red lipstick made her green eyes look even brighter, his jaw dropped when he saw how beautiful she looked. Lance was referrring to Allura who stood beside her in the sparkly dress Maisey had bought her the other day. But Keith was so fixated on Maisey it made the music around him sound thick and far away, he only had eyes for her. She walked down the stairs like she was royalty and made eye contact with him. She was breathtaking.
"What are you doing?" Lance asked Keith, causing him to jump and awkwardly blush.
"I was just.."
"Admiring the beauty of my best friend, yeah I know it was pretty obvious," Lance smirked, "I meant what are you still doing here?"
"I'm a paladin, I'm supposed to be here," Keith answered and Lance facepalmed.
"Go to those freaking stairs and be the first guy she sees when she gets down!" Lance scoffed, "ask her to dance or whatever, just go over there!"
Lance pushed him towards the stairs and for some reason, he followed Lance's advice not even thinking about it.
Once she got down from the stairs and stood there infront of him he noticed something about her.
"You look taller," he said and she giggled.
"That's because I'm wearing heels," she said softly.
"Why? I liked your normal height," he said and she raised a brow.
"Thank you," she said and now he was clueless on what to do, so he looked over to Lance. Who was trying to signal things to Keith with Hunk. Hunk just kept on taking Lance's arm and Keith had no idea what it meant.
He just did what they did, whatever that was hoping that it was the right call.
He held his arm up for her and she hooked her own with his, his eyes widened in shock. He was not expecting her to do that but now it made more sense what Lance and Hunk were trying to signal.
They walked towards Hunk and Lance. Who were pretending to have a normal conversation like they weren't just telling Keith what to do.
"Hi guys," Maisey said, "Lance, Hunk, you guys look amazing in your tuxedo's."
He pouted, she didn't gave him a compliment about the tuxedo.
"Thank you, Maisey," Lance said and he bowed, "as beautiful as you look this evening I will see if Allura would like to dance."
"Of course she'd want to once she sees you in that tuxedo," Maisey encouraged him and Lance bowed before her and left.
Hunk looked rather awkward as he glanced around the room.
"Oh look, it's Shay," Hunk said, "maybe she'd like to dance with me, I'll just go.. ask her."
"I think she'd love to Hunk," Maisey said and chuckled.
It was quiet for a bit, Keith wasn't good in this whole feeling thingy. He didn't know what to do. He had never felt this way about someone before.
"I see the tuxedo shopping went really well," Maisey said, she smiled and straightend his tuxedo a little, "you look quite handsome in that tuxedo."
"Thanks," Keith said and he lost himself in the moment, taking her hands, "you look beautiful."
She stared into his eyes and smiled gratefully back at him.
"Thanks, Keith," she said and she kissed him on his cheek, making that part of his skin twinkle. She laughed and rubbed the lipstick off his cheek, but he didn't mind that her lipstick was on his cheek.
"Would you like to dance?" He asked her.
"I'd love to," she answered.
"You do?" He asked surprised, "I'm not a good dancer."
"It's just moving around slowly," she said, "it's easy."
She took his right hand and placed it on her waist, she placed her left hand on his arm and with the other hand she took his free hand and they moved around, looking into each others eyes. Dancing.
His heart was beating so fast. He knew for certain that he had never felt like this before, the feeling was both exhilirating and terrifying. She got closer to him and rested her head on his chest, he layed his chin down on top of her head and he never wanted to let go of her again. Dancing with her felt nice.
They got lost in the moment, forgetting there were other people except themselves. Right now, in this moment they only had eyes for each other. They didn't pay attention to the many eyes that were watching them. They hardly even noticed.
That's when he did something he'd never done before with anyone, he kissed her on her forhead, she smiled happily and squeezed his hand.
Their evening went great, they continued dancing untill Hunk screamed: "I SHIP IT! KEISEY!"
That scared them off and not much later she decided that the heels were hurting too much and she left for bed.
He knew that Hunk's words scared them both off but he couldn't help but feel afraid, what if she thought he had done something wrong.
He sighed and left the gala as well. The memory of him dancing with Maisey printed into his mind, he wanted to do that again. He wanted to dance all his dances with her.