Chapter 26: Will There Ever Be An 'Us'?

Voltron had gone through a lot lately.. Lotor had been toying with them, driving Keith angry and Lance sometimes anxious. Luckily Shiro had returned and his return was such a relief, Maisey was so glad to finally see that cute little smile on Keith's face, the one he always tried to hide. Seeing him smile just made her feel so happy and warm inside. What else had happened? Oh yeah! They went into another reality to meet brainwashing Alteans, basically the Alteans had machines attached to their 'victims' heads, taking their free will away from them, and they had a comet. The same comet that was used to make voltron, which Lotor of course stole from voltron once they took it out of the ship into their reality.
If Keith wasn't angry about that, it was Maisey. People had been noticing her 'forehead vein' as they'd call it now. One brow would arch up and the vein would show up on her head, pumping as she was murmering swear words.
Voltron had been trying to form alliances with freed planets, and it was going great.. but Keith was spending more and more time with the Blades and Maisey would be lying if his absense didn't leave a hole inside of her. He was still around, just not as much as she'd wish he was. She missed him. A lot.

"He'll come," Lance said smirking.
"Yeah, right," she shrugged, looking up to the sky, "I just wish he'd come when we were having these silly shows."
"Hey, they're not silly, they bring hope to these people," Lance explained, "besides if you want him to stay for good, just tell him how you feel and he will never leave again."
Her glance shot up to her best friend, shocked by his words.
"You really think so?" She asked confused.
"Girl, any guy you tell your feelings to will stay," Lance shrugged.
Maisey rolled her eyed and Lance pulled her into a hug.
"So how are you and Allura?"
"What?" He shrieked, his voice cracking, "I don't know what you're talking about."
"Sure you do," she giggled.

Later that day Kolivan called again, talking about the quintessence they'd found earlier that day, it was some big lead on Lotor and Keith of course wanted to join in on the mission. Maisey folded her arms, rather upset.
"You'll meet us at planet Reiphod after that mission," Shiro said stern.
"Yes!" Keith said and he ran off.
"Is something wrong Maisey?" Shiro asked with a suspecious look on his face, she looked up surprised.
"Yeah, you're grumping just like Keith," Hunk said imitating her stance, "might get emo later."
"Nothing, I just find it annoying that our leader is spending more time with his emo pals then with us," Maisey said, and she shrugged, "I get that the Blades need him, but he's still the leader of voltron.. it sucks."

He wasn't there when they did the show. Maisey hated feeling like this. To her it was more than just a leader leaving, she had never felt like this before. After the show at Reiphod she'd heard what had happened at Keith's mission, Regris was dead, blown to pieces.
She awaited his return in the other hallway, she knew Allura was in the other one, probably preparing for her lecture, but Maisy would see him first.
When he walked through the door and she saw the look in his eyes she felt terrible. Once he saw a lilac spot at the end of the hallway his eyes shot up to meet her, she ran towards him and hugged him tightly.
"I heard what had happened," she said, "I'm sorry."
Surprised at first but glad she was the first face he saw when he'd returned, he wrapped his arms around her body and hugged her tightly, his face in the crook of her warm neck, he could smell the space shampoo she used, which was somehow comforting to him. They just stood there, hugging each other in the silence.

Not much later he had another mission, and so did the Paladins, so now she was feeling conflicted again. There was no Black paladin to help them in that mission, and it made her frustrated. Because they needed the Black paladin.
They went without Keith, and got their butts kicked.
"Where the hell is Keith?" Lance shrieked as more Galra cruisers came to attack the five lions.
"Playing totally spies somewhere in space!" Maisey grunted, "I'm so done with this! He has to be here and lead this freaking mission! We can't form voltron with a lion short!"
"You won't be for long!" Shiro said and the black lion flew in.
"Shiro!" They all said excited, he was finally able to fly the black lion again, which was a relief.
They finally beated the galra's and escorted the rebel ships to Olkarion.

When Keith walked in everyone was upset with him, he had put them in danger.
Keith was shocked by their angry faces, but it was to be expected.
"I'm sorry," he said.
"Yeah, you keep saying that but you're actions tell us otherwise!" Allura said, "your absence had put the whole quadrant in jeopardy!"
"If there is a bright side to my absence it is that Shiro has reconnected with the black lion again!" Keith said.
"Is that why you've been pulling away?" Maisey asked, trying not to look hurt.
"Yeah, I guess that's part of it," he answered looking away from her.
"Part of it?" Hunk asked, "what is the other part?"
"The Blades have made a big discovery that could lead us straight to Lotor, there is going to be a mission," Keith said, "and I have to be on that mission."
"We understand," Shiro said, as he layed his hand on Keith's shoulder, "but you know that if you need us, we will always be there for you right."
"Yeah, and I can't tell you how much that means to me," Keith said and he smiled, hugging Shiro,
The rest of the team also got into the hug, except Maisey, she stared at the floor.
"I guess I should get going," Keith said and she could feel his eyes on her, but she refused to look at him.
He walked through the door and her world almost collapsed on her, if her friend wasn't there to show her another way.
"Now's your change," Lance said, giving her a little push, she looked at him with a questioning look in her eyes and he just nodded at the door.
Lance was right.
She ran after Keith, hoping she was still on time. He was preparing his pod for departure.
"Keith!" She said. He looked around to see Maisey, five seconds ago she seemed so sure about this desicion, now anxiety was taking over.
"Maisey?" He asked.
She sighed, just do it, she thought and walked over to him, her eyes fixated on his lips.
She stood on her toes and pulled his face down to hers, kissing him passionately.

At first he was shocked, what was happening? It took him several seconds before he realised Maisey was kissing him and he was enjoying it. He decided to stop standing there like a fool and rested his hands on her waist, like something came over him he pulled her closer, kissing her was the best feeling in the universe.
A little while later their lips departed, they opened their eyes, looking into one anothers. She slowly slid back on her whole feet, her nose sliding past his, feeling each others breaths before the beautiful moment ended.
Silence.
They just realised what they'd done, they had kissed. Each other. Keith and Maisey kissed.
"At first I wanted to tell you how I felt about you in order to make you stay," she whispered, "now I'm certain that would be telling you the truth for the wrong reasons.. so now I've decided to do it, before I'd regret not telling you at all.. I really like you, Keith, and I've tried to hide it away, but there is no denying, you make me feel things I have never felt before..I'm sorry it took me so long to tell you."
"I feel it too," he said, "and I don't understand that feeling, but you kissing me felt amazing and I wanna do it again."
Without question he pulled her face to his and kissed her again.
"I really like that," he said, "I really like you, but I'm still going on that mission."
"I'm not going to stop you, Keith," Maisey said, "I just had to tell you, before it would be too late."
He smiled, "I'll see you soon."
"Stay safe," she said and he got into the pod.

When she got back onto the bridge everyone was giving her certain looks.
"What's wrong with your faces?" She asked.
"You know there are camera's in the room we hold the pods?" Allura asked, "we saw everything."
"No way you enjoyed it as much as I did," Maisey shrugged and walked off, leaving them giggling like children.