Charlotte rolled her brown doe eyes, crossing her arms but before replying, she heard the door knock and shrugged, a mocking smile on her face, "Oh, look at that. Did people start knocking here? That's new."

Damon huffed out before following her to answer the door, Charlotte swung the door open, finding none other than Jeremy Gilbert there. The Bernard vampire had only ever opened very brief conversations with the Gilbert boy, knowing who he was and who his ancestors were but it was for Elena. Her friend had explained how she didn't want him involved in any of this and it would be appreciated if they never talked much about the past and how said vampire knew Jonathan Gilbert, his sister, his inventions, and many more things.

"I need to talk to you."

"And why do I need to talk to you?" Damon asked before going to close the door when Charlotte stopped him, shaking her head.

Jeremy glanced at her, appreciating the gesture before revealing, "Tyler Lockwood has to kill someone to activate his curse. He's not a werewolf yet."

"Wow, fascinating," He acted nonchalant before attempting to close the door, pulling Charlotte back that once, "Not enough."

Jeremy pushed back, continuing, "But Mason Lockwood is and he's looking for a moonstone, a special rock connected to the werewolf legend," He sighed, finishing, "That's why he's here."

"A moonstone?"

Jeremy nodded, adding, "And I know where it is."

"And you're bringing us this, why?" Damon asked, exchanging a look with a bemused Charlotte.

He shrugged, questioning, "Do I need a reason? Look, I just want to help, okay?"

Charlotte crossed her arms over her chest, asking, "What did Elena say about this?"

He didn't answer as Damon nodded, realizing, "Oh, he didn't tell her," He turned to Jeremy, raising his eyebrow, "Did you?"

"Well, Elena doesn't want me getting involved in all this," Jeremy shrugged his shoulders nonchalantly before trying to walk into the house but Damon pushed him out, once again.

"And you're a Gilbert and you just can't help yourself," He continued, contemplating whether to let him in or not, "Wow. Your search for life's purpose is as obvious as it is tragic."

"You going to let me in or not?"

Damon and Charlotte exchanged a look before the brunette shrugged and they both stepped aside as Jeremy walked in. Damon closed the door before turning to Charlotte, "If Elena gets mad, this is on you."

"It's better doing this when we are around rather than throwing himself in the crossfire, plus Elena won't be mad," Charlotte stated, reassuring herself more than Damon, "Stop being a chicken."

✵ ✵ ✵

At the Lockwood Mansion, everyone was helping set up for the Masquerade as Serena arranged the masks aside, trying to keep her mind off of her messed up life before someone patted her shoulder, "Matt? Hey, how are you?"

"Oh, I was just going to ask you the same thing, considering Cora just said hi to me and I didn't even know she was back."