𝟓𝟖

a/n: Lottie's outfit for the chapter is above!

☆═━ 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐈𝐅𝐓𝐘 𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓━═☆

Charlotte Bernard wasn't one to hold a grudge—if she was, then trust her, her life would have taken an entirely different path. She was a forgiving person. She believed that everybody deserved another chance, that people weren't born bad and never meant to come out that way.

Her father believed the same and raised her with such beliefs that made her feel linked to him. Going against all of her morals and beliefs would severely cut ties with what's left of her father in her and Charlotte would rather die than do so.

She didn't like how people presumed it naive to not take action when things get really bad, but she knew she was right. At the end of the day, when all was said and done, Charlotte would only have her actions and the parts she chose to keep of herself when she became a vampire.

She wouldn't trade anything about herself for the world, it was...absurd.

Doing it for someone else was even much more absurd. Had she wanted to become an entirely different person that it wouldn't be for anyone. It would be because she chose so. Those decisions were the ones that stick after everything else is gone.

If you asked someone who knew Charlotte from the day she was born till that very second what changed about her they would tell you nothing, absolutely nothing. That's what they saw. A nice girl with a kind smile who wanted to help everyone even if it placed her in rather peculiar situations.

However, if you asked Charlotte Bernard what changed she would tell you so much, so freaking much.

She could feel it. Something inside her wasn't the same since she had turned into a vampire and accepted that fate, knowing her father would not be okay with his favorite most cherished daughter becoming a demon of the night. Charlotte thought she could surpass that but was unfortunately mistaken.

She desperately tried to hold on to every part of herself that was human since she had been freed from the tomb. Charlotte kept mending the pieces to a broken heart of glass but the glass was too delicate, valuable and most kinds of it can never be fixed.

Cassie Bernard died. It was Charlotte's fault and she wouldn't let anyone convince her otherwise.

She knew that on that day something inside of her broke. It was worse than Stefan leaving her, than losing her family without a goodbye, than death...