𝟕𝟔

a/n: Cher's outfit for the chapter is above!

☆═━ 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘 𝐒𝐈𝐗━═☆

Charlotte tried to remind herself that she was no stranger to death. She was no stranger to grief. It always hurt the same, no matter how many times she had been through it. She tried to tell herself that what happened to Kol wasn't her fault but that nagging voice in the back of her head always pressured...What if you had gotten there faster? What if you weren't suddenly glued to their porch and took an action?

All the What ifs were killing her. She can't turn back time. He is dead. It's over. Charlotte just wished she wasn't there to see it for herself because she couldn't close her eyes for two whole minutes since then.

Lina was in shock when the news hit her. The denial phase. The phase where she repeated to herself plenty of times that Jeremy and Elena couldn't pull something like that off and Kol wouldn't be weak enough to fall for it.

Charlotte pulled herself off the carpet after taking a look at Angelina and Serena, they fell asleep somewhere around five in the morning while trying to soothe her and Lina. It wasn't very effective.

She slowly closed the door after her before descending the stairs. Charlotte assumed. it was somewhere around ten in the morning by then.

"Trouble sleeping?" She asked when she spotted Lina sitting on the couch, staring at the television that wasn't even on.

"Didn't really try," Lina replied, tapping the empty space beside her for Charlotte to take a seat and the petite brunette complied, "I never thought I would say this...But I might as well miss him."

Charlotte exhaled sharply, running her tongue over her bottom lip, "I can't get it out of my head...Every time I close my eyes, I just...I see him. I see him screaming in pain as that fire consumes him," She shook her head at herself, "And I am just standing there."

"It was too late, you couldn't have done anything," The Gilbert turned to her, stating, "You can't blame yourself for that."

"I know..."

Lina huffed out, rising to her feet, "I can't even remember the last thing I said to him...How stupid is that?"

She stood there, rubbing the back of her head, trying to shake out any memory as Charlotte looked up at her. Lina shrugged her shoulders, "What? I am forgetful."