more soulmates stuff // Leerens

OOPS * drops draft * ( im just finishing random ones rn )

"You must have no remorse for your soulmate," Alexander laughed out, and Charles wiped his mouth. There was only a bit of drool, but nothing too bad. Yet. Alexander picked Charles up and pinned him to the locker, reeling back for a punch as Alexander's phone went off. He quickly checked it and dropped Charles.

"John's problematic soulmate saved your ass, see you tomorrow," Alexander said, letting go of Charles, who just slumped into the floor in pain.

He forced himself up and retreated to his home. His parents were rarely home as they were both doctors, but it meant Charles had a somewhat decent life.

Charles went straight to the freezer and picked up a premade ice pack and pressed it to his cheek. It felt nice against his aching jaw.

"Charles! What happened!?" his mother, Isabella, said, looking at the condition her son was in.

"Mom! I didn't think you'd be home," Charles said, jumping a bit. He was told his parents were on yet another 16-hour shift.

"I was let off early, so I decided to surprise you, now, let's fix you up then you have to explain what happened," Isabella said, pulling one of the stools by the island out. She bent down and grabbed the first aid kit from under the kitchen sink.

"This might sting, okay, hunny?" she said, grabbing the anti-bacterial ointment. She rubbed it on a cut and Charles winced a bit.

"Start talking," Isabella said, grabbing a bandage. She looked up at Charles expectantly.

"Well, I kind of got into a fight," Charles prepared himself for the worst.

"What stupid shit did you pull?" his mom asked. Charles's jaw dropped at his mom using obscenities.

"I only talked bad about a teacher I didn't like," Charles said.

"Just like your father," Isabella laughed. Charles laughed a bit too, replacing the ice to his cheek. Isabella closed the first aid kit and sent him off to do as he will.

~~

Charles stared down at John Laurens. Alexander wasn't present and it seemed like John wasn't afraid to fight in his place. Charles was considerably shorter than him, compared to Alexander, of whom he is the same height as.

John pulled his arm tightly. The two were in an empty hall.

"Listen, I don't feel like fighting anyone today," Charles muttered, trying to walk away.

"Oh ho ho, no, you have to pay for your word," John said, gripping on an old bruise. The pain rang through both of them to the point John let go.

"That motherfucking dumbass," John called out, going to cradle his arm. Charles noticed and immediately rushed away, to not get hurt. Instead, his clumsy self tripped on air and he landed face-first on the ground.

"Shit, my nose," they both said at once. Charles got up and they both looked at each other.

"Don't tell me..." John started. He punched Charles in the arm and winced at the pain in his.

"Well, we are soulmates, now please don't punch me again, that'll be really counterproductive," Charles said, rubbing his arm. John nodded and looked at Charles.

"How the hell do you manage through all those fights and still make it to school, it basically incapacitates me," John complained.

"One, ice the bruises, two, my parents are doctors, first aid kits are everywhere," Charles explained.

"...Thanks, but it's still shitty that you're always fighting," John said.

"Your 'best friend' is constantly beating me up, what do you mean 'always fighting'?" Charles asked, with a playful chuckle. He wanted to make light of the situation.

"I should probably tell him about that..." John thought out loud.

"...Agree to ignore each other until we inevitably meet again as soulmates?" Charles asked.

"Fine, but don't talk to me until we are out of high school," John said, a bit bitterly.

"Deal," Charles said, walking off, careful not to trip again.

~~

The two didn't see each other for almost 5 years after high school. By then, Charles had seemed happier without the bullying and not going home all the time with bruises. He had almost forgotten John if his presence always lingering in the back of his head counted as forgetting.

Someone bumped into Charles' table, knocking over his coffee and making the hot liquid slightly burn his legs.

"Shit," both of them said. They looked at each other, the recognition hitting immediately.

"Lee, I was losing hope," John laughed.

"Me too, but I kind of wished it didn't end up with my coffee all over my legs and hurting," Charles said, grabbing a few napkins.

"Uh, I'll buy you a new one, what do you order?" John said, giving a half-smile.

"Black, no sugar, and a little creamer... Just tell the guy upfront it's for me, he'll know," Charles said. John nodded and left to order the new coffee. Charles was kind of glad for their new beginning, he'd rather not live another moment hated by John.