Dear General // Washinglee

au where lee actually commits to monmouth but it has a dash of washinglee

Monmouth
June 28, ¹⁷78

Dear General,

I fear the end of this Battle may not go as planned. Intelligence has informed me that we may be serverly outnumbered, and many of our Men have been stricken with heat illnesses. I have sent Mister Maxwell with many troops to flank the rear of Sir Clinton's battalion by Sunrise. Once there is clear signs of movements, I will send you another Correspondance. I request for your troops to reinforce our Fight as early as possible.

I wish you would excuse the briefness of this Letter, as well as the late timing. I am most sincerly and devotedly Yours,
Charles Lee

It was almost 4 in the morning when George was awoken to recieve the urgent message. He stared at it, blinking tiredly, as if it would help him understand the hastily written words. Chilled by the early morning air, George slid on his coat and re-read the letter once more. It was near impossible to rally his troops before Charles's troops began to fight.

Based on the different pieces of information George was given about the battle, he was confused why Charles didn't plan on calling for a retreat, how he was so confident with all of this information and possibly more. Perhaps within the hour, or preferably before the sun rose, Edwards would be able to convince Charles to back down and send another missive to George to wait for reinforcement. He couldn't risk sending back a letter, there would be no time for Charles to recieve it, read it, and respond before he attacked. That was assuming the messager wasn't killed by warfare.

It was hours before George was able to rally his remaining troops to give aid. It took another half hour for them to march to the site. George heard Charles's yells, the gun fire, and the screams of people getting killed. The view came only minutes later, Charles was off his horse and he held a gun while yelling orders. George jumped off his horse and rushed over. He intended to tell Charles he was present. Charles screamed as he fell, covering his hip with his hand. George ran over as fast as he could. Charles was already standing and grabbing his gun again.

"Don't aggravate your injury, General," George said loudly. Charles turned around and relaxed a little.

"There has been a terrifying amount of injuries, though the British have been thinning out much quicker," Charles explained, taking another aim. George commanded his troops to aid the fight and gave more orders. When he turned around to tell Charles to get medical attention, Charles was gone, shooting off more British soldiers.

Only an hour later, the British began to retreat away, thinned and unorganized. George gave a command to cease fire. Charles stayed for a moment as soldiers began to take the injured. Once only aide-de-camps remained, Charles left, hopefully to receive medical attention. Once George had finally made sure the British were truly retreated, he decided to see why Charles refused to back down. Charles was sprawled on his bed, though he was no longer bleeding. George lightly shook the second-in-command's shoulder. Charles groaned and moved over on his bed, opening up some space.

"General Lee, we need to chat," George said, shaking Charles again. Charles sat up, blinking tiredly.

"Sorry, may we speak later? I haven't slept properly in a few days," Charles mumbled. He started to nod off before George could answer.

"I assume that would be better in terms of concern for your health. Who shall you send to alert me when you wake?" George asked. Charles was already back asleep when George looked down. George had no idea what to do, so he sat in the chair and waited. He ended up falling asleep as well. When he woke, Charles was writing, ever so focused on the sheet of paper on his desk. Only a lamp lit the room, placed carefully by Charles to aid in his sight for writing. He looked up when George moved. Charles smiled a little and turned around his chair.