Royalty // Maria x Peggy

TW for abuse

Princess Peggy Schuyler knew she'd never be Queen of Mide. She was the youngest of her 3 sisters and she always refused her suitors. King Schuyler was getting fed up with Peggy's rejections, as both of her sisters, Angelica and Eliza have already found their suitors. Princess Eliza had Duke of Uisnech Alexander Hamilton and Princess Angelica had Prince of Southern Uí Néill John Church.

Angelica is the first in line, and if she has no heirs, then it's Eliza, and Eliza already has a kid, Duke Philip Hamilton. That meant that Peggy was 4th in line. Today, Peggy was going out into town, alone. She normally did this, sometimes with her sisters, but today was just for her wondering why she couldn't find someone like Eliza or Angelica had.

She pulled the hood of her cloak a bit higher as she bumped into someone, causing both of them to fall.

"I am so sorry," the other person said. They held their hand out and Peggy took it, her hood flying off as she got up.

"Oh my goodness, I just bumped into a princess, I am really sorry, your highness," the person said. Peggy got a good look at her face.

"No, no, it's my fault that I wasn't watching where I was going," she said, brushing off her dress. Her hand got caught on a hole and she frowned.

"Oh no, oh no, I can fix it, or even pay for a new one," the lady said, seeing the hole.

"Oh, no, it's fine, I promise," Peggy said, but the lady was already pulling her away somewhere. They arrived at a run down house. Peggy's nose scrunched at the disgusting smell in the air.

"I need the skirt, I promise I can fix it by the end of today," the lady said. Peggy took off the first layer and handed it.

"I never caught your name," Peggy said.

"Maria, I already know you're Princess Peggy, the only one without a suitor," Maria said, taking out a small needle, some white thread, turmeric, and beeswax. She dipped the thread into the turmeric, dying it yellow before running it through the beeswax and threading it through the needle. She began working, making small stitches Peggy would've never been able to make. Peggy watched closely, amazed that Maria wasn't getting hurt by the needle, like Peggy was when her mother tried to show her how to sew.

The two began to talk about how much they hated the patriarchy and men in their lives.

~~~

"Last few stitches... and here!" Maria said, holding up the skirt. The hole was completely closed and there was no evidence of a seam.

"Woman, where are you?" a man yelled, entering the room.

"I'm in the sewing room, James," Maria responded, unphased by the yelling. Peggy began to prepare to leave.

"Woman, who is this lady?" James said, vaguely gesturing at Peggy.

"Margarita," Maria said.

"I don't know any Margaritas, who is she?" James replied.

"I met her in the market. I ripped her skirt and offered to fix it."

"I didn't ask why she was here, get her out of my house now."

Maria nodded and led Peggy to the front door.

"Hey, meet me at the South gate tonight, bring a few changes of clothes or some things to make clothes with," Peggy whispered. Maria nodded and Peggy went back to the castle.

Back in her room, she grabbed a satchel she took from one of the soldiers. She filled it with a few dresses, food from the dining hall, paper and quills, three canteens of clean water, and a small bottle of wine. A knock came to her door and she immediately threw the satchel under her bed, hoping the wine or ink well didn't break.