extra searens :-)

Samuel woke while it was still dark. He tried to reach for John, who was always still in bed when this happened. Samuel found nothing but a slightly warm spot and extra blanket space. He sat up, looking tiredly, and rather blindly as he glasses rested on the nightstand. The was a figure lifting it's hands high into the air as if putting clothing on. Samuel screamed, in hopes someone would protect him or to scare the person off. A lamp light came on and he saw John looking at him worried. John had a waistcoat that was thicker than most, and a dark blue jacket hanging on the coat rack.

"Are you alright? Did something happen?" John asked, ready to comfort to the best of his ability. He sat just where Samuel had laid and Samuel pressed his head into John's stomach. The waistcoat smelled horribly metallic, reminding Samuel just what John did most of the time.You never would've guessed that a man as gentle as John, with words so soft and his careful moves, would have killed many men at war.

"Nothing at all, I just hadn't expected to see you right there," Samuel muttered. His hand gently reached up and rested over John's bicep. John was definitely strong, there was no doubt, but somehow Samuel was amazed with the feeling of his arms under his fingers. He almost fell asleep again, disregarding the smell around him as John sat back up.

"Please don't get hurt," Samuel said softly. John looked at him as if Samuel was his Achilles's heel and smiled.

"I never plan to when you're around," he said. Samuel got comfortable in the bed, using all of his impulse control to not grab and hug John's pillow as John was still around.

"Where are you going?" Samuel asked. He remembered it was South Carolina, but he just wanted to hear John talk for just a second.

"South Carolina. I'm going to bring my battalion to freedom and tell the remainder of Americans that the war is over," John said, proud of himself. Samuel smiled and watched as John left.

Weeks had passed quickly, not a word from John or anyone who knew him. Samuel began to get nervous quickly and sent as many prayers as he could to God, wishing for John's safety. A loud knock sounded on the door as Samuel got up from his last prayer. He opened it, dreading to see it wasn't John still.

"Letter for Mr. Seabury," the mail man said, holding a messily folded paper.

Sorry I hadn't the time to write you, things became busy with the military. We were nearly ambushed by a stray British battalion, but all my men had made it out alive. I miss your presence so much, I fear of the amount of sleep I lose from it. I will see you in a few more weeks.
Yrs, John Laurens

Samuel almost screamed out of delight as he held the letter close to his chest. He thanked the Lord and went to sleep peacefully, knowing John had came out of his travel alive and gotten the beginning of his dream.