Chapter 60

The sun stood at its peek when team seven arrived before the gate to the leaf. As expected and as per usual the supposed guards were fast asleep. As amusing as it was it was also worrying. Anyone could get past the two. Do they not take their jobs seriously? Athena's going to have to talk to the old man. In the mean time she could wake them how she usually did.

Kakashi said nothing and hardly reacted to Athena throwing a stone at the men. He could only shrug as they yelled in surprised pain. If they did not see that coming then they really are not suited for the job they were given. They were always sleeping on the job.

"Athena, would you please stop that" Izumo rubbed his bruised chin in pain. Talk about a rude awakening.

"If you were not fast asleep I would not have thrown anything "

Blue eyes observed their interaction, or more precisely, those eyes observed the men that were guarding the gate. They did not notice her it seems. She hummed. So they failed at the important job given to them. They were to make sure no suspicious character enters the village. They were to keep track of everyone entering the village and warn others of suspicious activities. Yet they sleep, allowing those skilled enough to enter the village.

Her eyes traveled over the other side of the gate. The village. There were other guards on this side. At least they knew to keep an eye out unlike  the other two. They haven't seen her, however.

She felt a yawn come up as she stretched in the sun. She noticed how high the sun was. It was hot. The heat burned her pale flesh. She wasn't irritated or anything along those lines. She just felt it was as good a time as any to get some skeep.

Jumping off the gate, she landed next to a shocked Izumo, who seemed ready to fight. She ignored him as she approached the nearest tree. She had deemed the guards useless to both her and Athena. She saw no need to interact with them. They only put the place they are supposed to protect in danger.

Scaling a good looking tree, she found a suitable branch for her to relax on. Her katana was placed on her lap as she comfortably leaned back. The high collar of her shirt came to hide the bottom half of her face as she closed her eyes. One leg dangled off the branch, swinging idly.

Sasuke and Hinata watched. Kakashi glanced at her as well. She hardly talked to any of them and they hardly noticed her trailing behind them. From what they had gathered she loved her sleep. Athena had to poke her out of a tree this morning so they could get back on the road. She reminded them of a cat with the amount of sleep she seems to need and her overall personality.

The gate was opened and the two snapped out of their thoughts. They were home. Both felt relieved. It was good to be back off the road and away from danger. Well, immediate danger.

Stepping back into the village, Naruto took in the bustling forms of the villagers with a smile.

"Boy is it good to be back again"

"Let's go see the old man"

~~~~~~

Hiruzen puffed, smoke clouding his vision. He leaned back in his seat, trying to relax for a minute. He had been cooped up in his office for hours. His back seriously felt the consequences of this. His eyes landed on the stack of papers before him. He decided to stop whining and fix the mess himself. He filed them in order and made his job easier. Didn't make it any less  exhausting. He was too old for this. Maybe he should actually hand the job over to Naruto. The boy was competent enough, despite his age.

He'll think about it later. At the moment he had to worry about revamping the school and the chunin exams. He already handled the curriculum. He reviewed it and was very disappointed. Athena was not pulling his leg. The academy was pathetic. It seemed the civilian council was in charge of most of the curriculum. They made it easier for their children to become ninja. What they fail to understand is that by doing so they are sending unprepared children into the field. They're just digging their grave. The civilian council was of course not happy about the drastic change, but Hiruzen could care less. He ignored their complaints about their children not passing. If they really wished to become ninja they would do their very best.