Chapter 21

An explosion shook the earth in a peaceful village. The villagers were confused and worried. What could have caused such an explosion? The village scarcely dealt with problems. It was a quiet peaceful village. The villagers lived peaceful lives. They never caused problems and problems never came their way. It was good living. The day was like any other. The stalls were open and selling a variety of necessities. Green, fruits, rice, some candy for the kids, clothing, souvenirs, jewelry. They had everything they needed. There was hardly a need to leave the village. Everything was right there. They loved their village. They were small and practically unknown. There are hardly any natural disasters. No rogue ninja pass through and cause problems. There was no crime for the people were very friendly. They would happily welcome any visitors. 

A peaceful village. 

But a peaceful day was interrupted by a ground shaking explosion. What could be happening? 

~~~~~

Athena skillfully evaded her mother's powerful attack and retreated to the forest. That was a close call. Her mother almost got to her. She was quiet and stealthy. She easily snuck up on the seven year old. But Athena saw her plan just in time and threw herself out of the way. She had watched the cracks appear in the dirt and spread further. Her mother's blow was strong enough to send trees to the ground. Her area of effect was impressive. That is the power of a sannin. Athena was yet again impressed by her mother's show of strenght. It had been two years and she could still be amazed. She smiled to herself as she took to the trees. In the two years a lot had taken place. She had read and memorized her mother's medical book. She was taught every technique. Taught all the oddities. Her mother taught her everything. She started off small. She starts healing animals. A fish. A squirrel. A fox. She slowly moved on to bigger animals unti she was skilled enough to tend to a human being. Due to her mother's constant travels she developed quickly. In each village there was someone in need of medical attention. She was tasked with such things, along with Shizune of course. 

The tw years have bee great. But of course there were bumps. There always are. 

At some point Athena's past had to be revealed. At first she was distracted by her training. The thoughts of her past were starting to become rare. She was doing better. She was sleeping at night. She was starting to overcome all of her fears. She was starting to get better emotionally. Her mother was there for every step of the way. She was actually happy and believing in herself more. 

She had a nightmare once and everything came crashing down. She was reminded of everything. Her happiness was again threatened. The days after that weren't as bright, but they were not bad. Tsunade tried to cheer her up as best she could, but she could do nothing if Athena refused to talk. 

But she had to. And she did. 

It was doing het personal medical training. Athena was carefully inspecting the fish she had caught. She had managed to swipe a scalpel from Shizune. She was very careful in her endeavor. She had gently cut the fish open. Blood had started to leak and its organs were revealed. She wasn't affected. Blood wasn't something she feared. At least not at that moment. With the fish's insides revealed she inspected. She carefully inserted finger in search of its heart. She wiggled a bit and winced when a sharp pain shot through her. She had cut herself. She quickly retrieved her finger and made a move to wash it, but she froze. 

She was bleeding. 

When was the last time she saw her own blood? She couldn't remember. As she stared at her finger a feeling of dread started to take over. She was still missing a vital detail of her memories. She couldn't remember what had happened before she woke up near the leaf village.