Chapter 13

A genjutsu is created when a ninja controls the chakra flow of a target's cerebral nervous system, thereby affecting their five senses; this is frequently used to create false images and/or trick the body into believing its has experienced physical pain. It is further explained that, because genjutsu affects activity throughout the prosencephalon structure of the brain, humans, dogs and other species of mammal are therefore all affected by genjutsu; however, insecs lack that specific structure in their brain and henceforth cannot fall victem to the wonders of genjutsu. 

Genjutsu can also be used to manipulate others - similar to brainwashing - by feeding the victim illusive suggestions. Methods include integration with nature transformation and ingesting special pills that activate when the target sleeps. Audible genjutsu is deemed the most dangerous because the user can trap victims from long distances.

Those under the influence of genjutsu will either appear to be unconscious or continue to move around under the pretence of the genjutsu. The latter is very effective in battle as a genjutsu user can make themselves appear to be somewhere else and attack the victim from behind or change the environment to make the victim see a flat plain where there is a steep cliff.

A victim's chakra flow, if disrupted enough, can break the caster's influence. This "Genjutsu Dissipation" or "Genjutsu Reversal" can be done by the victim themselves, assuming they realise they're under a genjutsu's influence or an ally who emits chakra into them.

It can also be broken by real physical pain. 

Athena already established that she was trapped in the illusionary technique. Despite her knowledge of her situation her brain refused to cooperate.

Darkness. That is all she met. No matter where she looked. There was nothing else to be found. Pure darkness. Not a sliver of light anywhere. She couldn't move. She tried, but was met with a barrier. A wall perhaps? She wasn't sure. There were four barriers keeping her where she was and they were very close. The space was crampt. Tight. She could hardly move.

It was dark and almost impossible to move.

Panic set in.

Claustrophobia typically classified as an anxiety disorder. It is one of the many phobias she was cursed with. It was accompanied by her fear of the dark. Scotophobia or lygophobia.

Those two were not a good pair. Athena couldn't help the panic and fear that gripped her tightly. She wanted to get out, but she couldn't. She couldn't move. She couldn't see anything. It was beyond terrifying. She struggled against the walls keeping her down. Tried to see anything at all.

She was in a genjutsu. She knew it. So why couldn't she just calm down and dispell it. She knew how to. It was basic knowledge. She needed to disrupt her chakra or inflict physical pain. It would all be over if she just did that. She would get out. She would escape.

But she couldn't.

Humans are weird like that.

They would be aware of their situation. Know what was wrong. What was the cause. Who was the cause. What they should do. They could no it all. But it would make no difference. Despite knowing all of that they do nothing. They couldn't do anything. They let fear take their hearts and have it's joyride.

Humans are weak and she was too.

Wasn't she?

She didn't know how long she had been in the darkness. How long she had been struggling. How long she had been berating herself. It didn't matter. She had stopped. She stayed still and stared ahead at the darkness. She forced herself to abandon all emotion. To be an empty shell. She felt nothing. She wouldn't allow it. It was cold and lonely. She didn't like it. She never did. But it was the one way she knew to calm herself to some degree. She closed her eyes and stopped thinking about where she was. What she felt. What she feared. Instead she thought about what she needed to do. She needed to break the illusion she was in and she needed to do it quickly or her panic would set in again.