Chapter 20

Naruto was a panting mess as he continued to push his feet with everything he had. He was tired beyond belief. The boy had a lot of natural stamina. Enough to run fifteen laps around a massive field and only start to feel it around the sixteenth. That is when everything kicked in. That is when he started to wear down. His feet were weak. His lungs were on fire. His heart was beating a mile a minute. He could hear his pulse in his ear. Feel it in every part of his body. He wanted to stop. To admit defeat but he couldn't. He wouldn't. He had to push on. He needed to be stronger. This was nothing. He could take more. He would be Hokage one day. This is child's play.

Jiraiya was impressed. He had told the boy to do twenty five laps around the field. He wanted to see what his limit was. How far he could go. He exceeded his expectations. He ran more laps than he expected. He pushed harder than he thought he could. He went on even when he could hardly breath. He was sweating so much you would think he walked through a water fall. The boy had determination.

Jiraiya smiled. He was just like his parents. The enthusiasm and energy of Kushina. The looks and determination of his father. He must be the boy of Prophecy. He hoped he wasn't wrong again.

Naruto was on his seventeenth lap. Jiraiya smiled. The boy had massive potential. Athena obviously saw this. She knew it. It's why she requested he train with them. He wondered what his daughter was planning. It was something he picked up on. She seemed to be planning something. He was starting to realize that everything she did was a step in some plan she had. Everything was timed. Everything was calculated. His daughter is a little genius.

He chuckled.

Eighteenth lap. He stumbled but regained himself and went on. Just two more. Naruto told himself he would make it. It was only his firs day of training. He could make it. He knew Athena could do it. If she could he would have to as well. How could he be there to catch her if he wasn't strong? How could he do such a thing if he could not catch up to her? He would have none of it. He would have no doubts. No fears. No limit. He would push himself to his breaking point and beyond.

He would never give up.

Nineteenth lap. His legs were quivering. With every step he took he had to fight to keep his knees from buckling. He was breathing through his mouth in hopes of getting more air. His chest hurt with each breath he took.

Just a little more.

Jiraiya raised an eyebrow when Naruto finished his last lap and collapsed to the ground. He was heaving. The rise and fall of his chest was the only movement he made. Jiraiya chuckled and stood up. He retrieved a bottle of water and made his way towards the young boy.

"Drink up kid"

Naruto nodded and weakly sat up. He huffed and leaned forward as he reached for the bottle.

"You did great" Jiraiya ruffled blonde hair as Naruto gulped down the water as fast as he could. He let out a loud sigh and smiled brightly.

"I told you I could do it"

"Yeah yeah" Jiraiya sat down next to Naruto. "Take a break, we start in thirty minutes "

"What are we going to do? "

"Build up your muscles. They're pathetic. After that I'll teach you some taijutsu before moving on to some jutsu"

Naruto nodded. He looked forward to learning everything he could. He didn't know much about the sage, but Athena told him that he was a sannin. He didn't what that was either so Athena just told him that he's really strong. That was all the boy needed to hear. He was nervous at first. He didn't know how Athena's parents would react to him. Most people hate him after all. But not them. They accepted him with kind smiles. They were nice to him. They even brought him out for ramen. It was nice.