Chapter 56

"What the hell happened!? "

Bodies were scattered on the floor, blood pooling under them. The welcoming sight to the team as they arrived with the old man. It seems they showed up a bit too late. The poor men didn't stand the slightest chance. Tazuna was quick to check on them, questioning the one conscious man. He could hardly talk, blood spilling from his mouth every few words. Athena didn't focus on him. She knew what had happened. Instead she quickly created clones and had them heal the dying men. They were lucky to still be alive. They were lucky the group arrived when they did. She tilted her head, sensing Zabuza and Haku nearby. Seems the fight is about to start. She would very much rather they not be killed. She had uses for them and could actually protect them if they decided to work for her. She knew Gato was the only protection they had. Without him they would be killed sooner or later. If not by them then by someone else. So of course that just meant they needed to work under someone else with enough power to protect them. Why Zabuza refuses to work for her is beyond her understanding.

Maybe it's because she amost killed him.

It wasn't such a big deal. She fixed him up in the end. He should learn to let go of needless grudges.

But then again, she almost killed him a second time.

To be fair he did seriously piss her off.

Hinata let out a sigh of relief upon seeing the men alive and well after Athena healed them. The clones were quick to teleport them to a somewhat safe place. They should not get dragged into their battle. The Hyuga gripped her fists slightly and steeled her nerves. The life of a ninja is full of danger, she reminded herself. Everyday life is full of danger in this world. She could not worry about everyone, for everyone could not be saved. She would be no help if her worry for others led to her own demise.

Familiar mist started rolling in and everyone stood on guard. Athena, Hinata and Sasuke stood in formation around the bridge builder. Naruto was not with them for he had to nurse his wounds. He was lucky Hinata came to save him or he would've ended up in far more pain than he already was.

Sasuke gripped his Kunai tightly. He would not allow fear to invade him this time. He would not cower under Zabuza's killing intent. Not after he experienced said intent from Athena just a few nights ago. He was sure Zabuza's was nothing compared to her. He still shivered at the thought of it. He was still questioning whether or not that was all worth it. Was the dango worth it?

"Long time no see"

A familiar voice cut through the mist, resounding all around them. The mist thickened, making it hard to see.

Sasuke's grip tightened even more. He breathed out slowly, a smile forming on his face. Oh? He was excited all of a sudden. Had Naruto's love for battle rubbed off on him? He didn't even realize when he started shaking.

"It seems you two are still with those brats. Look, the boy's shaking"

His clones appeared, surrounding them at all sides. Each already swinging their weapons. Athena couldn't help the knowing smile spreading across her face.

"Zabuza, you're mistaken" she spoke casually, her eyes on Sasuke. "I do believe he's shaking from pure excitement "

Sasuke smiled wider, his kunai spinning in his grip. He counted six. Well then. Let's see how fast he could take them out.

The clones desolved into water within seconds. Sasuke's movements had improved. In speed for one thing. He looked up, trough his bangs, grin on his face as his weapons returned to his pouch.  Zabuza could not fool him anymore. Not after all the training he went through with Naruto. That boy can spam clones after clones after clones. They were all far faster and stronger than that of Zabuza. He could handle them.