Chapter 43

Naruto was walking next to Sasuke while he kept his face in his book. It had only been a few days and he found himself outside the village again. He wondered how things would work out on this mission. It was only C rank and they were just escorting a bridge builder. The possibility of ninja attacking is slim. The chance of bandits is higher. He flipped to the next page as his mind wandered from the mission. He wanted to talk to his parents again. He had talked to them last night but he really wanted to tell them the good news, even though they most likely already know. They witness what takes place now. But still.

Athena was walking next to Kakashi. She had slowed her pace to end up near him. He gave her a curious look. She said nothing for some time. She had her eyes in her book and was searching. She could pick up chakra from a great distance and she was trying to find those famous ninja that popped out of a puddle. They didn't pass the puddle yet, however.

"This mission is a B rank in disguise " she finally said very quietly to her jonin. He raised an eyebrow and she tapped her temple in a way to remind him of her knowledge. He nodded in understanding. "We'll be attacked at some point. You'll know when, I'm just telling you"

"Why didn't you bring this up with the Hokage? " if she knew the mission was going to be far more dangerous than it seemed she should have told the old man.

"This needs to he done " is all she said. With that she walked passed her trainer and fell back in step with Hinata.

The group walked in silence. Naruto, Athena and Kakashi were occupied with their books. Sasuke was toying with his kunai while he kept on eye out. He had a feeling in his gut. Hinata had the same feeling. She was trying to find any unknown chakra as they walked. Her eyes were to the floor as she did. She'd activate her Byakugan if the feeling went on.

Kakashi glimpsed away from his book when he saw a puddle. A literal puddle in the middle of a road that had not see rain in days. How was there a puddle there? He sighed and looked to his students. Naruto had put away his book and casually stuffed his hands in his pockets. He had noticed. Sasuke held the kunai in his hand differently now. He had noticed as well. Hinata seemed alert and no longer deep in thought she glanced to Athena who put away her book.

They would be attacked soon.

Kakashi was discrete. He subtly created a clone and fled to the trees. His students noticed. The bridge builder was unaware. They would handle it. Naruto's hand was already in his pouch of Kunai. Sasuke had his in his own pouch, ready to draw a couple of shuriken. Athena remained calm as she approached the Hyuga.

"There are two" Hinata said quietly. "They're following " she had her Byakugan activated and could see them.

Athena smiled. 360 vision. This is why she loved the Byakugan so much.

"What should we do? "She asked as she deactivated her eyes.

"We wait and be on alert"

Just as those words left her lips the ninja made themselves known. They went for Kakashi. Athena was interested in their use of chains as she stood there watching. No one moved. They all realized that the Kakashi they attacked was a clone. The fact that those ninja didn't notice was amusing. The clone was ripped to pieces by the strong pull on the chains.

Not bad actually.

"One down"

They were quick. They're next target was none other than Hinata. They appeared behind her and moved to attack her. She had sensed them. They weren't as fast as Naruto or Athena. She could keep up. She trained with Athena on the daily. Her Byakugan was wordlessly activated and her vision changed, yet remained familiar. She moved on muscle memory and performed her learned technique. She hit critical chakra points in fast succession. Three palms to the chest. One to the stomach and their use of chakra was practically impossible.