chapter 8

Hiruzen sighed in frustration and worry. It had been over two hours since anyone had least seen Athena. She had just stormed off. Kakashi went home to check but she wasn't there. He decided to stay just incase she came back. Where could she be? Hiruzen was praying to any god out there that she was alright.

He thought back to what she had said to one of the council men. It had pained him to see the look in her eyes. The words she had used. He knew something was bothering her . Something had happened in her last life that was still causing her pain. He wished he knew what it was and he found out, even if it's just a little bit. How could someone call a child useless? A waste of space? He gripped his pipe as he felt the fire of anger swell within him. He wanted to know what she went through. He wanted her to talk to him, but she was still afraid to do so. He understood and knew he could do nothing but wait.

With a sigh he got back to his paperwork. It was hard to focus with the thought of Athena in his head.

The sound of the doors opening made him look away from his paperwork. He was expecting one of his ninjas coming to report something, but he was pleasantly surprised to find Athena looking at him.

"Athena, you're back"

Athena said nothing and only sighed and she shuffled some hair out of her face. She didn't look as depressed as she was before, but she still looked a bit down.

"Where were you? "

"The forest, to clear my head" She replied and stuffed her hands in her pockets as she stared at the floor. "It didn't help all that much, but I found Hinata wandering around, lost"

Hiruzen saw a ghost of a smile on the blonde's face at the mention of the Hyuga.

"I feel a bit better now I suppose" She sighed again. "I just needed someone to... " She trailed off staring at the floor again. "Never mind" She looked up at the old man. "I have a request and you mustn't refuse"

~~~~~~~~

Athena stepped through the open door and walked into the familiar house. She was thinking over her discussion with the old man. He didn't refuse as she had asked and she was happy for that. What she had in mind needed to be done in order to improve the future. She wasn't going to wait around and second guess her decision. Things already changed with her presence in this world. If she was here she would make changes where she saw fit. She would prevent as much death as possible. She will help those worthy achieve the power they would need. She has a worth. She has a use. No more second guessing.

"Huh, so you came back" Kakashi sat in the living room reading a book. Athena looked up at him with the same emotionless eyes.

"Yeah I did, I have no where to go after all"

"Where did you run off to? "

"The forest"

"Care to tell me anymore about that? "

"Not really, no"

Kakashi stared at her and she returned his stare with a look of her own. At some point Kakashi sighed and looked back at his book.

"Prepare for bed, we resume training the same time tomorrow"

~~~~~~

The next morning went like every other. Athena did her basic exercises and practiced her jutsu. She had improved and was capable of performing high ranking jutsu like the water dragon for example. Kakashi found himself feeling prideful of his young student. His one week of training was at it's end. He would have to pass her on to Might Guy later that day. He was confident she could handle training under him. He had built up her muscles just enough. Guy would make sure to push her to and past her limits as he should. Break her down then build her up.