31. Engagement

Mikael waited with all the patience he could muster

Mikael waited with all the patience he could muster. The sounds of Meera, Ravi, and three other colleagues were hushed, the presence of Alina's father beside him made him nervous. He fidgeted with the high collar of his green, embroider Pathani suit. There was a sudden burst of laughter and a gush of greeting made him shudder. And alarmed, he looked up at the two laptops placed on the table. Faces of people, unknown to him, popped on the screen. Eager eyes, chattering mouths looked at him with scrutinizing gaze. Khalid introduced Mikael to his relative from Bangalore. Since Mikael and Alina couldn't ditch their work, they decided to have engagement done in Noida with their relatives joining them through webcam.

Mikael greeted everyone who peeked through various open tabs. They all looked starry eyes, overwhelmed by his good looks and tall figure.

'Oh my God! He is so gora.' One of Alina's aunt commented.

'Doesn't look Indian? Did Alina find an angrez?' Another Uncle looked at him with narrow eyes.

'Do they make such porcelain-skinned Gora men here?'

Mikael felt slightly uncomfortable upon being objectified. Then sudden gasp of one of Alina's cousins grabbed his attention. Quickly, he turned around and watched Alina walk in with her mother beside her.

Though Asmat looked beautiful in red chiffon saree with golden blouse, hair tied in a waterfall braid, and resting behind her, Mikael found his gaze stuck on Alina. She looked breathtakingly beautiful in yellow silk Anarkali dress. The pretty flowing dress had mirror work on the top half and some on the chiffon transparent cream-white dupatta. Her long lustrous tresses pulled back in a mid-parted bun. Alina had her head lowered and a shy smile over her lips. She kept fidgeting with her fingers, glancing up only once. Her gaze met Mikael and they passed a smile.

He shifted a little as she was made to sit beside him on the double sofa. Asmat sat beside her daughter and looked above the couple at her husband. Khalid nodded a little.

Meera began to instantly tease them, especially Alina. She felt pride as she was told to be lucky to have Mikael in her life. Alina turned her head and looked at him. His bright face radiated warmth and was a coolness to her eyes. Indeed, he was very handsome, by standards set up by society, but he was a man of excellent character, a wonderful and mature personality. She was felt indeed fortunate.

There was a beeping sound of video calling that made everyone turn towards the laptop. Alina inhaled sharply, upon seeing Amaal's face pop on screen. Mikael glanced quickly at Alina, but she didn't look at him. She noticed Amaal had earplugs stuck to her ears. She waved her palm at them and whispered.

'Hi! Sorry, I can't talk much. Carry on, guys!' She urged them.

Mikael hesitantly smiled at her while Alina remained straight-faced. Khalid called for Asmat and she looked away from Amaal. Asmat passed a tiny box to Mikael. He opened it and looked up at Alina. She recollected how they had struggled to select the perfect ring. She smiled at him, forwarding her hand to him. Amongst claps and cheers, Mikael slipped the lonely diamond, gold ring into her ring finger. There was loud cheering. Alina bit her smile that only grew wider.

Second Chance in Love (His Desire, Book2)- ✔️ COMPLETED On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara