33. In Love?

By the time, Haider returned he felt exhausted

By the time, Haider returned he felt exhausted. Not only physically but mentally as well. He looked up, the mid-day sun shone softly through the clouds that began to collect, preparing to shower rain. He adjusted the muffler over his shoulder and walked through the gates into the Noori Mahal.

The bell for lunch resonated through the tall, 19th-century walls and corridors. Haider pulled off his muffler, crumbling it in hands, and kept walking at a steady pace.

'Haider!' A, now very, a familiar voice called him. He looked up and found Amaal at the other end of the corridor with a bunch of kids around her. She waved at him and quickly began to push past the kids, albeit carefully. He stood still watching her jog towards him. She stopped by him, huffed, and observed him by tilting her head and leaning towards him.

'How are you, man?' She enquired. He noticed concern in her eyes and that care touched a chord somewhere in his heart. He wondered if they were people who cared for him. Just as the thought crossed his mind, Uncle Joy wheeled himself towards him.

'Where were you, son? I was looking for you and Amaal told that you went off somewhere.' He asked worriedly. Haider in response fell to his knees and flung his arms around the old man. As he grabbed him, a flood of emotions overtook him. Tears stung his eyes, but he tried to control them. Amaal watched on with teary eyes and breathed deeply. Perhaps, he wasn't alone.

Haider silently ate his lunch, and all the while, Amaal kept a respectable distance from him. After that, he went to sleep and was not disturbed. In the evening, he was awoken by the soft melody of a guitar. Slowly, he opened his eyes and turned his head. Amaal sat at a long stool, playing her guitar. Her eyes were closed, and her head moved gently to the tune she played. He smiled and sat up. With the shuffling sound, she abruptly stopped playing and her eyes sprung open.

'Oh, I am sorry if I disturbed you.' She commented. Haider shook his head and clasped his fingers together.

'On the contrary.' He sighed deeply, standing up. He walked up to her and held her hand. A frown appeared on his face as Amaal quickly pulled off her hand from his grip.

'Oh, my God!' Amaal you are hot.' He touched her forehead with the back of his palm.

She giggled, - 'I know.'

Haider took a step back, pressing his lips tightly and glaring at her, - 'It is not funny, Amaal.' -He placed his hands on his hips, - 'You are having a fever.' He turned around, but she was quick to grab his arm and insisted that she was okay, and it was normal. It will pass.

'All this because you kept relentlessly working in Christmas preps.' He scolded her, jerking his arm. Instead, he held her arm and helped her stand. She was adamant to not give her guitar and he gave up.

After (im)patiently, watching her place her guitar neatly on a stand next to the TV, Haider made her sit on her bed and searched for a thermometer. He couldn't, then, he looked at Amaal, - 'I am going to get Noori. You stay put, okay.' He warned her with a finger. She nodded, slowly. Then, he turned away and walked out of the room.