32. Broken Heart

Haider was busy buttoning his fit-slim checked shirt when he was startled by Amaal dropping her laptop on his bed

Haider was busy buttoning his fit-slim checked shirt when he was startled by Amaal dropping her laptop on his bed. He adjusted the collar and looked at her. She raised her palm and kneeled on the floor, opened the flap of her laptop. He looked with furrowed eyebrows at the screen. His expressions changed upon seeing pictures of Alina and Mikael exchanging rings and happily posing with everyone else. His heart skipped a beat and he quickly looked away. Amaal pressed her lips tightly and slammed her palms on the bed as she bounced up on her feet.

'Look here.' – She held his arm and turned him to face her, - 'This is not to make you feel low or mock you. I just wanted you to see this so that it gets into your head that Alina isn't your soulmate.' Amaal tried to make him see sense. He jerked his hand from her grip and scowled at her.

'Leave me alone.' He spoke rudely and angrily pulled out a muffler, woolen cap, and a grey woolen jacket. Amaal quietly watched him storm out of the room. She let him go as she knew he needed some fresh air to clear his head.

Haider placed his palms into his pocket and brisk fully walked through the streets of Mussoorie. As Christmas approached, the weather became colder. He let out a breath and felt vapor escape his mouth, then he pressed his chapped lips tightly. The streets had a fair number of people minding their business, few people were collected by the gift shops shopping for the upcoming festivity. But those voices were subdued for him and vision blurred with hot tears glistening in his eyes.

'You know Haider. The mother you once loved his now my wife and the father you love and admire is no more. You, you are all alone. At my mercy. You deserve to be. You know why? Because you didn't cling to your loved ones strong enough. Perhaps you weren't passionate enough. So, you lost them.......'

Alina held his hand in a tighter grip, - 'I am there with you. We are in this together.' She motivated him. He placed his palm over her.

- 'You have no idea what you are getting into. Many women came in my life claiming to be "in this together" but ditched me in a heartbeat.'

Alina leaned and kissed his forehead, - 'I won't.' She smiled reassuringly at him. Haider smiled back. Then, she adjusted his duvet and slipped to her side. He watched her sit up and tie her hair in a quick braid. She rested beside him, looked at him. He blinked softly at her and she smiled at him.

'No one cared for me the way you are caring for me.' He confessed. Alina smiled and leaned. She held his face and gently caressed his rugged cheek with his thumb. The feel of velvety touch of his stubbles grazed her skin.

'With very little time you have become important to me, Haider.' – she looked lovingly into his eyes, he had tears glistening in his eyes. She leaned and kissed his forehead. He closed his eyes feeling bliss and comfort in her arms.

Haider stopped in his tracks, 'With very little time you have become important to me, Haider.'

Staring front, he pulled out his phone from the coat pocket and dialed a number. Few rings later, the person on the other side answered the call. He gulped the tightness in his throat and said in a small, pained voice, - 'Congratulations, Miss. Alina.' He blinked feeling tears sting his eyes.