13. Let the Heart rule the Head

'Hey!' He called and noticed the figure straightened

'Hey!' He called and noticed the figure straightened. Haider took quick steps and as he neared the room, he increased his pace. The figure kept still with its back facing him. He noticed the person being a woman and only one name popped in his head.

'Amaal.'

The person lit a lighter that she held and slowly turned around. Dramatically, she brought the light to her face and revealed herself, whilst grinning widely.

'What are you doing here in the dark?' Haider shrugged raising his arms. Amaal bit her smile and showed him a sky lantern. He looked at it and then he was surprised to see her dressed, for the first time, in feminine clothing. She was outfitted in an elegant floor-length black, golden embroidery Anarkali suit with red dupatta rested against her neck. Her face was the same.

Amaal's giggling got him distracted. 'This is so romantic and filmy.' – She sighed dreamily. This time he wasn't annoyed, instead, he placed his hands on his hips and smiled. She covered her mouth and chuckled again.

Together Haider and Amaal made their way upstairs through claustrophobic spiral stairways. Mid-way, he began to feel tightness in his chest and struggled to breathe. Amaal turned around and found him a few steps behind her, holding his chest. She hurried to him with a look of concern, - 'What happened?'

Haider breathed loudly and lowered clenching his knees. She quickly climbed down the stairs and held his shoulder.

'Ya Allah! Are you alright?'

Haider nodded still breathless. He extended his hand and she grabbed him tightly. Then, she helped him climb. He closed his eyes, imagining he was in some other place. But the feeling of the dark brick walls closing on him was overwhelming. He just kept climbing, clenching on Amaal's hand even though his legs felt like jelly.

A few minutes later, he felt a fresh chilly breeze. He gasped shivering reflexively. Slowly, he flickered his eyes. Feeling breath coming back to him, Haider let out a shaky breath, noticing vapor escape from his mouth. Amaal sighed and looked closely at him.

'Are you—'

'I am fine, fine.' He let go of her hand and took a few steps away from her. He arranged his muffler pulling his grey woolen long coat closer to his body while badly avoiding her. Amaal bit her lip and then walked towards the parapet. He watched her lit the lantern. She turned to him.

'Come?' Amaal signaled with her head. Haider gulped and walked towards her. He stood behind her and held the lantern. She was so petite that it felt like his frame would engulf her. Haider was awkward as his palms rested over her soft and warm hands. Amaal turned her head; she seemed not bothered. Their gaze met. She smiled at him and he smiled back, then she turned her head and they looked ahead at the sky. Gently, together they let go of the sky lantern.

Haider took a step back and watched the sky lantern float away. His gaze fell on Amaal, and he noticed her send a flying kiss in the air. His smile turned into a frown upon noticing her eyes glistening with tears.