7. Ex

Mikael stepped out of the elevator with two other colleagues, Ravi and Praveen

Mikael stepped out of the elevator with two other colleagues, Ravi and Praveen. Ravi shared a joke and the three men burst out laughing. As Mikael laughed his gaze fell on Alina who stood alone by the coffee machine. His laughter faded as he noticed she was lost in her thoughts. He excused himself and hurried towards her.

Alina was startled when someone tapped her shoulder, she clenched the ceramic cup tighter and glanced to her left. Mikael waved at her and enquired about her. She shook her head, tugging her hair behind her ear. He walked towards the coffee machine and picked up another cup, - 'Then why are you standing like a zombie?' He looked at her and then at the machine.

'Actually.' She shifted from one foot to the other.

'Are you thinking of Haider?'- He quizzed with an expression as though he read her mind. He looked around and took a step closer to her and spoke in low volume, - 'He is in Mussoorie.' He revealed.

Alina gasped and looked at him in total surprise, - 'How did you know?' She blinked at him.

Mikael grinned at her, raising his collar with one hand. Alina insisted but he pretended to show her some attitude. After some time, he chuckled and agreed to tell her. Then, he told her about receiving a call from Amaal and she informed him about Haider.

Alina relaxed and took a sip of coffee, - 'I am glad to know that he is safe and alright.' She commented. Mikael smiled sadly.

'Are you still in love with him?' He asked with hesitation in his voice. Alina chuckled.

'Asking for someone's wellbeing, especially of an ex doesn't mean I still love him.' – she sighed, - 'Honestly, I don't know if I ever loved him in the first place.' She confessed. Then, she looked hopefully at him, - 'Um, can I ask you something?' She bit her lip, Mikael nodded whilst casually taking a sip.

- 'Do you still love me?' She asked. Alina could feel her heart rate increase as she anticipated his answer. That moment, she regretted asking him and wished the words rolled back into her mouth.

Mikael had a small sad smile on his lips for a moment, - 'It is not important that I love you or not, but what you—'

'No, Mikael.' – she held his free hand, - 'It is important. Your feelings, your emotions matter to. For me.' She confessed. Mikael smiled and appreciated her. But he dodged the question and led them towards their intern cabin.

 But he dodged the question and led them towards their intern cabin