22. Maturity

'Well, he is right

'Well, he is right.' Meera pointed out. Alina looked sharply at her. The two women sat at the dining table. Bollywood music echoing in the hall from the TV set. Jessica laid on the couch, watching a music channel.

'What do you mean?' Alina asked, poking a piece of shredded chicken from her chowmein plate with her fork.

'I mean, Haider is right.' – Meera shrugged, slurping a strand of noodle. Alina frowned harder in response, - 'Look, you had no feelings for Mikael, you had said so yourself. Now, suddenly you are having strong feelings for him?' She spoke, munching on her dinner.

Alina sighed, rolling her eyes, - 'Why are you guys taking my words so seriously?' – she pressed her tongue lightly into her cheek and inhaled deeply, - 'Okay, I had said that but then everything was different. Now, I do feel something for him. It's a—' she tried to form words, - 'I want to explore this feeling. That is, it.' She said in a serious tone. There was silence between the two.

Meera eyed her; another failed attempt to convince Alina to think out of Mikael.

'Waise among the two. Haider is a better option.' Meera suggested. Alina sighed but before she could answer there was a doorbell. Jessica clicked her tongue in agitation, pulled a cushion, and pressed it against her chest.

Alina got up, in her mind she was glad this decision was over or at least paused. She opened the door and found a young woman standing on the other side.

'Hania!' She was surprised to find Haider's younger sister at door but more baffling was that she was wearing sunglasses indoors and at night. The girl pushed past her and walked into the apartment. Meera gobbled a bite and stood up, narrowing her eyes at her. Jessica just passed a glance and looked back into the TV screen.

'Where is my big brother?' Hania demanded in a rough and arrogant tone. Startled, Alina blinked at her. Meera took another bite, ogling at the two.

Hania tugged her sunglasses off her face to reveal puffy eyes and dark circles. Alina inaudibly gasped.

She kept glaring at her, - 'Tell me. It has been weeks since he is missing. Where is he?' She scolded her.

Alina shrugged, - 'Honestly, I don't know.' She confessed. Hania scoffed in response, angrily crossed her arms, and stared in annoyance.

'You are his fiancé and you don't know where he is?' She said in a sarcastic tone. Alina pressed her lips and held her waist.

'Why don't you ask your father?' – She countered her and watched her expression change. This gave her confidence and she revealed everything about that night, - 'Maybe your father killed him or something. And for your information. I was Haider's fiancé. Not anymore.'

Hania's mouth hangs open, she looked away and whispered to herself, - 'It is all my fault.' She turned around and in a daze, she walked towards the door. Alina and Meera exchanged a curious glance.