16. Delusion

Haider glanced at a young woman

Haider glanced at a young woman. She sat in a confident posture, wearing a deep pink sweat-suit with a hoodie covering her shoulder-length bob-cut hair. Though, it wasn't very sunny. Half her face was covered by around over-sized sunglasses. She calmly sipped on her drink with a straw.

'Hi.' She threw her hoodie back and leaned placing the drink on the table, then she removed her glasses. Realization dawned upon Haider and his lips twisted into a smile.

'Miss. Eifad.' He exclaimed as the woman stood up. They shook hands and Eifad offered him to sit with her. Haider happily accepted her offer, - 'But first, let me get a drink.'

'Get strawberry or oranges. They have less sugar.' Eifad suggested and he nodded in response.

Sometime later, he got orange juice and walked up to Eifad. Though they had met a couple of times during business parties or entrepreneurs award functions, they had gelled well. Both spoke very less or only to the point and had "other" things in common.

'So, Eifad. How are you? How is Farhan, Zara, and Zavian?' He asked relaxing against the white straw chair.

Eifad chuckled as though remembering something funny. Haider observed her and smiled to himself, - 'Handling a business empire isn't too much of a hassle than handling a husband and two kids.' She sighed waving a hand. Haider laughed in response.

'And how are you? Recently, I haven't heard any gossip about your relationship. Single?' Eifad asked casually. Haider's smile faded away. He took a deep breath and nodded.

'Good you are Single. Single is happy.' Eifad confessed. Then, she noticed his expressions and frowned. She shifted, - 'I didn't mean to hurt you—I am—'

Haider forced a smile, - 'It is Okay.' He said calmly. She smiled, tight-lipped at him. He lowered his head and took a sip from the straw.

Eifad took a deep breath, looked away, and spoke whilst staring at the street ahead, - 'By the way, she shouldn't be worth it.' She slurped from her straw. Haider snapped his head towards her. Eifad was calm as ever.

'What do you mean?' Haider shrugged, pretending to look clueless. He gulped his drink. Eifad scoffed.

'I mean about you and Alina.' – She spoke with composure, - 'You said you were single but recently you were publicly engaged.' She informed. Haider blinked a couple of times. Eifad's gaze darted to the engagement ring that glistened on his ring finger. Haider pressed his lips and exhaled deeply.

'We are on a break.' He replied, his eyes not meeting her gaze.

'We or you?' Eifad arched her eyebrow. Haider observed her. She shifted in her place, leaned forward placing her tall paper-cup on the table.

'Listen, Haider.' – She sighed – 'I have been there, done that.' – She rested her arms on the armrest, - 'These one-sided loves have nothing in it. It gives you pain and nothing else. It is not worth anything. Sometimes, we feel we love someone, but we don't. Sometimes someone special makes you realize that or sometimes life, itself.' She explained politely.