12. Explore

Alina spent roughly one-week pacifying Meera, but she was adamant and in no mood to forgive her

Alina spent roughly one-week pacifying Meera, but she was adamant and in no mood to forgive her. Mikael realized and, on many occasions, he had asked if everything was fine between them. None of the girls revealed anything yet kept behaving strangely.

One evening after work, Alina and Meera walked out of the office building together. Alina opened her mouth to initiate a talk but to avoid her Meera hitched a ride home with Ravi. Alina let out a sigh as she watched her friend speed away on the bike. She bit her lip and retracted her step. As she stood to wait for an auto, she kept impatiently checking her watch. Alina pushed back the sling of her handbag and looked up at the road. Just then, Mikael's scooter stopped in front of her. She exhaled deeply and watched him remove his helmet and look at her.

'What happened, Alina? Where is Meera?' He glanced around. Alina hesitated.

'Ravi got her a ride.' – She took a step closer to him, - 'Hey, wanna grab a cup of coffee?' She looked at him with eager eyes. Mikael happily agreed. Alina smiled to herself as she sat behind him. She clenched his shoulder and observed him closely. He seemed indifferent though.

Together, Alina and Mikael walked inside a CCD café. They sat opposite each other at a small table in the middle of the crowded café.

'What will you have?' Mikael enquired.

Alina smiled moving her hair behind her ear, - 'Filter coffee. And what about you?'

'Cappuccino.' He commented and rose from his seat. As he walked towards the counter, Alina fished out her hand mirror and touched upon her lips, kohl, and hair. She adjusted her small silver Jhumka and pulled on the long sleeves of her yellow Kurtha. She quickly straightened in her seat as Mikael approached her. He observed her with an eyebrow raised.

Alina cleared her throat.

'Okay.' He exclaimed and leaned forward placing his hands on the table, - 'Tell me what is up with both you and Meera?' He observed her reaction. Alina was taken aback by the sudden question. She stammered and shook her head.

'Nothing.'

Mikael kept looking at her, his gaze piercing into her eyes making her uncomfortable.

'Hmm, we had a fight.'

Mikael scoffed lightly, - 'I guessed that. It was obvious.' He leaned back. Alina pressed her lips tightly and began darting her gaze all over the floor. She could not tell him the reason of their fight; she will fall in his eyes and Alina can't afford that.

'Mikael, before I answer that. I want to know—do you have any feelings for Meera besides friendship?'

Her question seemed to have answered his curiosity. His expressions relaxed, he sighed glancing to his side and then at her

'You girls fought over me?' He shook his head in disbelief. Alina felt her cheek turn red, she leaned back and then shifted forward, pulling her chair closer to the table.