38. A Loyal Son

Alina sat on her bed, listening to her mother on the other side

Alina sat on her bed, listening to her mother on the other side. She agitatedly kept tapping her feet and drumming her fingers on the bed.

'I can understand, Mom! But Nikah is not possible for now... I mean--just, for now, Mom not...please don't misunderstand me.' – She sighed rubbing her forehead. Slowly, she moved away from her phone and disconnected the call.

'All Okay?' Mikael walked inside the room and sat beside her, he held her shoulder. She nodded, closing her eyes, and letting out an exasperated sigh.

'Mom and Dad want our Nikah to be done soon but—', - she looked at him, - 'I don't think it is a good idea. Especially with what happened to Haider. It doesn't seem right that I celebrate my wedding?' She shrugged looking intently at him.

Mikael gave a thoughtful nod. Alina hesitated and then slithered her palm towards his hand and gently placed her palm over his hand, - 'Mikael, I am really worried for Haider. What if—', she bit her lip, - 'He ends up doing something drastic.' She said, her eyes got moist. Mikael shifted and wrapped his fingers around her palm, giving it a gentle squeeze.

'Yes, Alina. Even I am thinking the same. The recent events were extremely depressing, and the house is haunting. Haider is alone and his mental state isn't—he needs someone.' He expressed his concern as well. Alina nodded and held his hand in both her palms.

'Please do something.' She pleaded him, - 'You always have a solution.' She said and he hummed in response. Just then, his phone rang. Alina looked away as Mikael pulled out his phone from his track-pants pocket. He glanced at his phone and then looked at Alina,

- 'It's Amaal calling.' He commented and Alina looked hopefully at him.

▪⎯⎯⎯∞⎯⎯⎯▪

Haider knocked at the door with his knuckles and cleared his throat. Uzma straightened in her seat on the recliner chair. She stood up, clenching a photo frame against her chest. Quickly, she wiped her tears from her cheeks.

'Beta—'

'I have,' – He spoke in a hoarse voice, forwarding an envelope to her, - 'arranged your tickets to London.' – He avoided looking at her as Uzma reluctantly took it from him, - 'You will be staying with your brother.' – He let out a breath and looked at her, - 'I will be transferring Mr. Zaidi's—account and everything to London and also, I have spoken to Mama and explained to him that he will have to open an account for you in which I will keep sending money for you so that you can spend it as you like.' He clarified, looked away, and turned.

'Beta, why this formality? Why can't stay with you?' She asked in a meek and shaky voice.

Haider gulped hard and breathed out shakily, he doesn't look at his mother - 'I am sorry, Mrs. Zaidi. This is the best I can do.' – he paused, - 'Don't expect anything more than this from me.' He answered and walked out of the room.