30. Virginity and Soulmates

It's been one week since Haider's phone was tossed away, and then quickly returned to him

It's been one week since Haider's phone was tossed away, and then quickly returned to him. But it wasn't the same again. After fixing it and talking to Banerjee, he appeared suspicious.

Haider checked his mobile, shook his head, and tugged it inside his long mustard winter coat. He looked ahead and watched Amaal standing up on the stool and fixing the decorations on the Christmas tree. They have grown these in the backyard of the mansion. He folded his arms, occasionally smiling as she reprimanded the kids running around the tree, disrupting her. A teen girl was with her, helping her and, scolding the other kids as well.

Haider noticed many times, the stool wobbled threatening to throw Amaal down. He also observed the teen holding onto it, but she was more distracted by the kids. He casually walked towards them until the stool wobbled again and he rushed. He reached just in time and grabbed Amaal by her waist. She gasped; her eyes widened. Haider realized his face was really close to the side of her breasts and he quickly leaned back. Blinking rapidly, to avoid his gaze to wander.

'Thanks.' Amaal muttered as he steadied her. Haider looked up and she flashed him a nervous smile. To avoid his awkwardness, he called few other kids to help her, especially with the stool. Then, he passed her a glance, she looked back with gratitude. He smiled light lipped at her. Turning away, he shoved his hands into his pocket and quickened his pace, walking past the courtyard.

A warm cup of black tea cozied Haider up. He sat relaxed on the bed, resting against the wall. The laptop was placed on his lap and his feet crossed. As he sipped his tea, he kept scrolling through Alina's social media. Luckily, she hadn't made her account private. A smile kept on his face, as he admired her. Recollecting the times when she was with him when she was his. His smile disappeared when he stumbled upon an announcement. It was a collage photo of Mikael and Alina, hand in hand with gaze locked and looking very much in love.

'Hey!'

In reflex, Haider snapped the laptop shut spilling hot tea on his abdomen. He yelped in pain. Amaal's apologies were muffled as he threw his laptop and began to tug on his white Tee. She hurriedly climbed to the top-bunk and passed him some tissues.

'Why did you panic as though I caught you masturbating?' She asked and Haider looked sharply at her. How does she come with random stuff like these?

'Do you smoke weeds, Amaal?' Haider removed his coat, tossing it on the bed, and then preceded with moving his Tee from over his head. Amaal inaudibly gasped, then smirked, looking away. She pressed a finger over her lips and eyed him from the corner of her eyes.

'Actually, I used to.' She commented as he passed her. Haider stilled and slowly turned around. She turned to face him, - 'Anyway,' -she tossed her head, pushing back her bangs, - 'I thought after our encounter, you would—'

Haider shook his head, lowering his gaze, - 'Don't give yourself so much importance. You are my friend, that's all.' He commented, looking into the wardrobe for decent clothes.