50. In the Mood

The reception was in the same hall as the wedding

The reception was in the same hall as the wedding. Haider walked into the hall with Amaal by his side and having her arm looped with his hand. But her attention was with Reyansh as the two talked and walked together.

How much will they talk? Their talks never end- Haider rolled his eyes at them.

Annoyed, many times, he took quick steps dragging Amaal with him but Reyansh always caught up.

Inside the reception hall, the stage was decorated differently. The bride and groom were already present on stage, meeting, and greeting the guests. Haider looked at Alina, she was dressed in a lime yellow sequin chiffon saree and white sleeveless blouse. This time the jewelry wasn't as heavy as the bridal. A simple diamond necklace and white gold chandbali. Mikael was beside her wearing an ivory tux.

Meera climbed up the stage and engulfed Alina in a tight embrace. Ravi was with her. He shook hands with both Alina and Mikael. Since he was a new addition to their equation, he was a little reserved. Meera teased Alina under her breath. She blushed avoiding looking at her friend. Mikael nudged her arm, raising his eyebrows at her, a teasing smile on his lips.

Alina looked away, her smile faded upon seeing Haider and Amaal climbing on the stage. Haider glanced at her; their gaze locked. Alina gulped softly, recollecting their time together. Whatever they shared, wasn't love but it was special. She noticed, Haider had his arm looped with Amaal and she had a bright smile plastered on her face. Alina was relieved to see that she was happy with him.

Haider extended his hand to Mikael, - 'Congratulations, Mr. Jaffery.' He said in a dry tone. He didn't know what Mikael was thinking but he was reminded of the night of his engagement with Alina. So much has changed since then. It was him with Alina that time and now, she is with the very person he wanted to keep her away from. Slowly, Haider averted his gaze and looked at Alina.

'Congratulations, Miss. Alina.' He said, keeping an unfazed gaze on her, but words seemed to come out with great difficulty. She nodded at him and smiled formally, then quickly looked away. Amaal hugged Alina, taking her by surprise, and began to chatter happily. Haider noticed Alina was in a daze. She eyed him for a millisecond, before looking away. Just then, his phone rang, and it was Banerjee.

After twenty-fifteen minutes, Amaal realized Haider was missing. She looked around for him, but he seemed to be lost among the sea of people. Reyansh enquired if everything was okay and she absents mindlessly replied to him, then hurriedly climbed down the stage. Fanatically, she searched for her husband. Finally, she stopped when she saw Haider standing some distance from her. His back faced her as he was busy on a call. She hurried to him and gently placed a palm on his shoulder.

Haider turned around looked at her and gestured for five minutes. She folded her arms and waited. After he disconnected the call, he looked at her.

'Amaal.'- he held her cheek, - 'I have got to go. There is a conference call I need to attend.' He informed and she sighed exasperatedly in response.