46. Incomplete Melody

Alina sat facing the mirror and fidgeted with the Kundan and pearl Satalari necklace

Alina sat facing the mirror and fidgeted with the Kundan and pearl Satalari necklace. Silently, she watched on as the beautician placed the matching matta patta on her forehead and neatly pinned it behind her ears. The other one unlocked the bridal chandband bali, but before she could make her wear it. Someone stopped them. Alina turned around and found Amaal hurrying towards them.

'Wait!' She raised her palm, stopping next to Alina and the girls shared a warm hug. After they parted, Amaal pushed aside the beauticians who funnily eyed her. She pointed at Alina's reflection in the mirror and held her chin.

'So, Beautiful.' – she complimented, - 'Mikael is really lucky. Not because you have a pretty face, but you are also a wonderful human being.' She confessed and Alina smiled in response. Amaal wrapped her arms around her neck and hugged her. Then, within a split second, she moved away.

'I have something for you.' She said looking for something in her handmade small potli bag. She paused and slowly smiled at Alina while the latter looked on in suspense. Amaal pulled out a beautiful Jhumka. It was unique with multiple Jhumkas attached as gold strings to a large round earring with multiple Kundan and pearl work. Amaal passed it to her and Alina readily took it. She smiled sadly and held her shoulders.

'It is my mother's. She had given it to me on my—wedding day.' Amaal stopped and took a small gulp. Alina turned her head and brought her to her side. She turned her head and requested everyone including her cousins to give them some privacy. Few of her cousins were upset but didn't argue. After they left, Alina held Amaal's hand and made her sit next to her on a burgundy velvet stool. She kept holding both her hands firmly with hers.

'The earring is very pretty and looks like a family heirloom. But if it is for you then I think you should have it.' Alina explained politely. Amaal nodded thoughtfully. She looked up at her.

'But what use is it for me. I am not getting married.' She shrugged, clasping her palms together. Alina chuckled.

'You never know. Unless?' – She hesitated, - 'Unless, you don't want to marry anyone because you still love Zaroon.'

Amaal smiled sadly, - 'I love Zaroon and I will always love him but unfortunately he wasn't my soulmate. I wonder if there is anyone for me.' She gulped softly, blinking a couple of times. Alina's chest felt heavy looking at her sad face, and so slowly, she reached out to hold her hand but just then Amaal got up.

'Whoever it is for you, will be lucky.' Alina assured her. Amaal adjusted her bangs behind her ear and giggled. Alina doesn't fail to catch the pain in her laugh.

'It is my bad luck, I guess. If there is someone whom I love like I loved Zaroon then he is Ha—'- She abruptly stopped and fixed her expressions. Alina observed her soon to be sister-in-law with a smile.

'Ah-Ha! So, you have someone in mind?' She raised her eyebrow, a teasing smile on her face. Amaal scoffed.

'It doesn't matter.'- Amaal shrugged again, - 'Forget me.' – She forced a smile and walked behind Alina, resting her hands on her shoulders, - 'From now onwards I am your sister-in-law, so you better respect me and fear me.' She said with mock seriousness. Alina and Amaal laughed together.