(20) Love vs. Lust

Start from the beginning

“I’m tired, I’m going to go to bed” I said to both of them.

“Ok, goodnight sweetie” My mom said oblivious to what was going on. Cole just shook his head and smiled at me before he headed to the front door. I made my way to my room closing the door behind me feeling like crap. I climbed into bed and laid there for what must have been hours, just thinking about everything. It was after eleven and I still hadn’t found the answers I was looking for, in fact I was more confused. I kept on thinking about Gordon and how easy it was to be with him and how nerve wrecking it was to be with Cole. I knew I was attracted to Cole but was I really in love with him? How could I even know how it felt like to be in love when I’ve never even had a boyfriend before?

I reached for my cell phone and scrolled through my contacts, stopping at Gordon’s number. I really wanted to talk to him, he always made me feel better. My finger drifted over the call button for a few seconds before pressing it. I really hoped he wasn’t going to be angry at me for calling him in the middle of the night. His phone didn’t ring long before he answered it.

“Hi” He said sounding happy.

“Hi, sorry for calling you so late” I said not really knowing what to say now that I was actually talking to him.

“It’s ok, I couldn’t sleep anyway” he replied.

“Same here” I said as I felt my body relaxing.

“Oh, you didn’t strike me as an insomniac” Gordon joked.

“I’m not usually but tonight’s different” I said.

“Why? What’s wrong?” he asked sounding genuinely concerned.

“It’s a long story” I replied, not sure if I should tell him.

“I’ve got all night” he said sounding serious.

“You have to get some sleep, you have to work tomorrow” I said. I didn’t want to be the cause of him getting fired. He already took today off because of me.

“I’m not going to sleep Gabby” He said honestly.

“I know what you mean” I whispered knowing there was no way I was going to be able to sleep.

“How about the beach?” Gordon asked sounding excited.

“Now?” I questioned.

“Yeah, why not? It’s not like we are going to get any sleep and it sounds like you could really use a friend right now” he replied.

“Ok” I agreed not having to think to hard about it. I loved spending time with him and maybe talking to him about everything that’s been going on would help me.

“I’ll be there in twenty” he said before hanging up.

I jumped out of bed and quickly changed my pajamas for some proper clothes. I threw my cell phone in my bag and then grabbed a jacked out of my cupboard just in case it got cold. It has been warm the whole day but I wasn’t sure how it would feel on the beach at twelve in the night. I quickly combed my hair and then made my way over to my window to wait for Gordon. I didn’t want my brother or mother to wake up and ask questions so I was planning on sneaking out through my window. I felt excited as I stood there waiting for Gordon. I’ve never done anything like this before but instead of being scared I felt excited, for some reason I knew I could trust Gordon and that he wouldn’t let anything bad happen to me.