(20) Love vs. Lust

Love vs. Lust

Chapter 20

“Hey” Cole said staring directly into my eyes. I felt my stomach flip and looked away before I did something I would later regret.

“Hi” I replied still not looking at him.

“Can we talk?” he asked not making a move, obviously waiting for me to invite him in or chase him away.

“Yeah, but not in here. Let’s go down to the living room” I answered finally looking up at him again.

I didn’t want him in my room. We had a lot to talk about and to be honest I just didn’t trust myself to be alone with him. He agreed and followed me to the living room. Conner had gone to his room so we were still alone but I felt a bit more in control of my emotions.

“It’s not my baby” Cole said as he sat down next to me on the sofa.

“Conner told me, but how can you be sure unless you did a paternity test?” I asked.

“Because I never slept with her” Cole answered, his words shocked me into silence.

“Gabby?” Cole whispered softly as he moved closer to me.

“Yeah” I finally replied feeling like a complete idiot. I should have give Cole a chance to explain before treating him like shit.

“I never slept with her because I wasn’t in love with her. She kept on begging me to go out with her so I agreed, it was a stupid thing to do but nothing ever happened between us. You have to believe me” Cole begged as he took my hand in his.

His touch sent a shiver down my spine and I immediately pulled away. A look of hurt crossed his face but he quickly hid it with a small smile.

“I believe you” I finally whispered after an awkward silence.

“I was hoping you would” Cole said looking relieved and happy. He took my hand again and this time I didn’t pull away. He smiled and leaned forward to kiss me. His lips were so close to mine that I could taste his breath when I jumped up and took a few steps back. Cole looked at me with a confused expression on his face.

“I’m sorry but I can’t do this, things have changed and it can’t just go back to the way it was” I said taking another step back as he stood up.

“I’m in love with you Gabby. I thought you felt the same way?” Cole half asked, half stated as he moved closer to me.

“I thought so to but it’s not that simple, I need time to think about this” I replied as a million questions and thoughts ran through my head.

“Ok, take all the time you need but please don’t ignore me” Cole said not moving any closer. I was thankful for that because I was honestly really confused at the moment.

“I won’t” I answered, smiling at him for the first time. He returned my smile and that’s when we heard my mom’s car pull up in the driveway.

She came in and greeted both of us looking very tired. She sat down on the couch which would usually have pissed me off since I was in the middle of a private conversation but this time I felt relieved. I didn’t know what else to say to Cole. I told him that I believed him and that I wouldn’t ignore him but I couldn’t promise him anything more until I had some time to sort through all the questions in my head.