31 ㅡ promposals

▪▪▪

▪▪▪

Love was in the air, and exposure to such air seemed to have allergic tendencies to Nam Hyora.

Everywhere she looked, people were fussing about the winter ball as though Bae Suzy's recent breakup wasn't the biggest scoop to gossip about anymore. Now all she heard were stuff like:

"What are you wearing?"

"Who's your date?"

"How are you going to ask her?"

"Girl! Fuck societal expectations! Fuck gender roles! Invite him to be your date!"

Hyora almost felt bad for the students from the lower levels because they couldn't get in with all the fun. Almost.

Last year, when she was a sophomore, she actually felt jealous. She also wanted to plan an outfit, shop with her friends, and get the perfect dress. She wanted to know what it was like to be asked by a boy, to feel like she was pretty enough to be asked by one.

Well, she experienced the latter back in April, but now was different.

Every single day she was bombarded by boys with different tactics.

The first one was traditional—bouquet of roses, a box of chocolates, and the million-dollar question: will you go to the winter ball with me?

It was kind of hard to turn him down since the guy was genuinely sweet, but Hyora had someone else in mind. Thankfully he was kind and he respected her wishes.

That was a real man back there.

The next one was... strange.

She was innocently talking to Momo, a Japanese sophomore she was close with, when the roar of a trumpet rattled their eardrums. 

When they turned, they found a guy with a mop of blond hair and a devilish smile. His shirt was unbuttoned all the way, revealing a black BLACKPINK T-shirt underneath.

"NAM HYORA!" he'd shouted, pointing a finger towards her. "THIS ONE'S FOR YOU!"

Perhaps he was about to perform a heart-stopping trumpet rendition of 'Kill This Love' which would have defeated the purpose of a promposal, but Hyora and Momo never knew because an angry music teacher charged towards him for stealing a trumpet from the music room.

It was a very interesting experience.

On the eleventh day of the eleventh month, she found several Pepero boxes on her desk, all taped with cards written with words of admiration and the like. Naturally she ate the snacks and hid the letters between one of her books. 

The same day, Hyora and Hanna entered the cafeteria in search of the latter's boyfriend. 

"The theme is A Dance Beneath the Stars," Hanna told her best friend as they looked for Jongdae. "What does that even mean?"