24 ㅡ star in the making

▪▪▪

▪▪▪

Yep, Hyora definitely couldn't have guessed that.

She did a double take. "W-what—"

She looked around her, afraid that someone might have heard them, but everyone was busy talking about how Jongin fell off an inflatable donut float they borrowed from some kid.

Hyora stared open-mouthed at Chanyeol, not sure what to say.

"Chanyeol, why..."

Chanyeol pursed his lips. "Sorry. I think I surprised you."

Surprised is an understatement, she thought. "Why would you even ask me that?"

He shrugged his shoulders sheepishly. "I was just— you know, well, I was curious."

"Curious?" she said incredulously, making sure to keep her voice as quiet as possible.

"Yeah?" He didn't even sound sure.

Hyora furtively glanced at her friends. No one was looking at them.

"Chanyeol, the winter ball is—"

She was supposed to say that it's still so far away, but then she remembered that Luhan had asked her to be his date months ago, and now the ball was coming up pretty fast without her realizing it.

"I— There's no one," she answered truthfully, and she wasn't sure if Chanyeol heard the guilt in her voice. "I haven't really thought about it. I mean, it's only August..."

Chanyeol nodded thoughtfully. "You have someone in mind?"

Hyora blinked.

At that moment, Chanyeol's face registered in her mind, but then almost immediately, his face morphed into another face.

His Royal Loserness.

She shook her head with the hopes of shaking that thought off. "No, not really."

Then guilt clawed onto her. She didn't even think of Luhan, when he had been the first to ask her so long ago. His early invitation had been buried to the very back of her mind after so much stress in school, adding up to her adventures with Baekhyun.

Perhaps Chanyeol was trying to think of something to reply, but the waitress returned with trays of steaming seafood. Chanyeol immediately turned towards the food in excitement along with everyone else who audibly cheered for the quick service.

The smell was delicious, and she felt her stomach yearning for the heaping amounts of seafood, but she felt rather hollow. She still didn't know why Chanyeol even asked her that question, because being "just curious" was not an acceptable answer.

*

The sunset would have been really beautiful if not for the extra-gooey couple beside Hyora.

It was difficult, but Hyora did her best to ignore Jongdae's cheesy comments about how Hanna was even more beautiful than the sunset and how happy he was to be with her. They kept on looking so deep into each other's eyes that Hyora was afraid they might get sucked into each other like little black holes, but that was just her bitter side speaking.