40 ㅡ on the snow

▪▪▪

▪▪▪

Hyora had been staring at her phone's wallpaper for a few minutes now, occasionally tapping the screen when it starts blacking out.

She woke up this morning finding that her mother had sent her a message, greeting her a Merry Christmas with a photo of her and Hyora's father. They beamed with huge smiles, but Hyora didn't miss the exhaustion on their faces. The wrinkles on their skin were more visible while her father still looked sickly pale. Nevertheless, they looked genuinely happy to be together.

She wished she could be celebrating the holidays with them. But at least she had the Kang family with her.

With the coffee table in the living room covered with many layers of newspaper, Hyora sat down on the floor in front of it, painting on huge Christmas cards to send to her friends as well as Hanna's relatives. A small Christmas tree stood by the corner of the living room, decorated with fairy lights and origami ornaments that Hyora and Hanna have made.

To complete the Christmas spirit, Mariah Carey's voice blared from a small Bluetooth speaker, singing All I Want for Christmas Is You.

"Kang Hyerin," Hanna recited, lounging on the couch near Hyora's workspace. "That's my aunt. She likes pink."

Hyora painted a pink ribbon around the head of Santa's elf drawn on the front of the card with the name 'Hyerin'.

"Where are you meeting Jongdae today?" Hyora asked, setting the finished card to the side for it to dry.

"Honestly, we're not sure yet," Hanna answered truthfully. "Where do you think we should go? I'm kinda getting sick of Hongdae."

"Myeongdong?" Hyora suggested.

Hanna scrunched her face. "Too many people."

"Namsan? I think Christmas is a great time to put on love locks."

"Namsan Tower..." Hanna muttered, looking up at the ceiling wistfully as though she was envisioning herself with Jongdae putting on love locks on the railings.

"Hanna, dear," Haejin, Hanna's mother, called out from the door to the shop. "I think someone's at the gate. Can you go check for me, please? It might be your grandmother."

Hyora and Hanna exchanged terrified looks.

"Shit, is it her?" Hyora blurted out, already hurrying to grab her paintbrushes.

Hanna rose from the couch and ran to the door, opening it a tad bit just to peek. She looked back at Hyora with wide eyes. 

"It's her! Hurry!"

"What?" Hyora cried out, hurriedly scooping the Christmas cards off the table. "But I thought she's going to arrive later in the evening?"

"I thought so, too!" Hanna replied as she swooped in to help Hyora fix her things. "Maybe she wanted to surprise us!"