26 ㅡ yearning

▪▪▪

▪▪▪

Hyora woke up in her cluttered bedroom in Seoul.

She missed being alone in her bed, but she also couldn't help but miss bickering with four more people at night before going to sleep.

She missed Kyungsoo's excellent breakfast, their morning walks towards the beach, the free lunch thanks to Luhan, and overall their fun journey at Gangneung. The trip had its downfalls, but being at home just reminded her how near their classes were approaching. She'd choose making sandcastles with Baekhyun over school any time.

And worst of all, her dad was sick.

All she wanted to do was to fly to China and take care of him. Her mother must be having such a hard time, what with juggling work and taking care of her husband. It's not possible for Hyora to go, of course, since the money she had saved up weren't enough for her to afford a plane ticket. But if she couldn't go, then she might as well try to earn some more money.

Perhaps she could work at a convenience store, or a chicken shop, or a café. 

Hyora decided to mull over her choices at breakfast, and as soon as she finished, she set off outside.

*

It was nice being back in the familiarity of Seoul, but Hyora could almost imagine the sea instead of the streets, the stretch of white sand instead of the sidewalks, and the pine trees instead of the buildings. 

What's not so different was that there were also convenience stores in Seoul, so she went to the one nearest to school. But as soon as she stood in front of the glass door, she hesitated.

It's common knowledge that finding a part-time job in convenience stores was almost impossible nowadays, and even if she could miraculously get a job, will she be able to survive both academics and work?

Hyora pondered for a second. Maybe I should just focus on art? Or maybe I could set up an art stall? Perhaps I could get a spot at the Hongdae Free Market?

The door of the store opened. Her mouth hung open, her heart going haywire.

He pointed a finger at her. "Oh! Hyora!"

"Chanyeol," she said. "Hi!"

Chanyeol stood in front of her holding a plastic bag full of chips and soda. As usual, he was wearing that huge smile of his. "What are you doing here?"

"Oh, um—" She paused. "Well, just, you know, walking around. I missed Seoul."

He chuckled. "Really? Walking around near the campus? Do you miss school that much?"

"Of course I don't," she said. "What are you doing here?"

Chanyeol held up the bag. "Getting snacks, duh. The boys are hanging out at Junmyeon hyung's place."