45 ㅡ from dawn till dusk

▪▪▪

▪▪▪

Baekhyun ran through the pine forest and straight towards the beach as soon as they arrived while Hyora lagged behind like an irritable babysitter.

"Baekhyun, the ocean isn't going anywhere!" she called. "And don't you dare swim or you'll freeze to death!"

But just as he was about to drop his bag on the sand and splash into the water, his phone vibrated in his pocket.

Taeyeon was calling.

"Oh shit."

As Hyora caught up, she glanced at his phone then at his panicked face. "What is it?"

He scratched his temple. "Um, I may have forgotten to tell my girlfriend that I'm in Gangneung."

"What?"

"I know! I'm stupid and I should have informed her and now she's gonna kill me—"

"Well tell her now, then!"

"Okay. I'm just gonna go take this call."

She rolled her eyes at him. "Whatever. Take your time."

Praying for his life, Baekhyun took one deep breath, faced the sea, and answered the call.

"Hello?" he said in a small voice.

"Hey Baek!" Taeyeon cheerfully said from the other line.

"Hey!" he replied. "Um, what's up?"

"I was wondering if we could get lunch later? You know, now that school's over. Unless you have plans for today? I didn't really hear much from you since last night."

He let out a nervous laugh. "Uh. Right. About that..."

"Yes? Um, why do I sense that something's wrong?"

"N-no! Nothing's wrong. Why would you think that something's wrong? It's— it's not like I'm doing something wrong!"

"Baek, you're panicking."

"Huh? I'm not panicking! Who's panicking? Are you?"

"Baekhyun, calm down! What's going on?"

"Look, everything's fine! I'm not panicking, I did nothing wrong, the sea is touching my feet—"

"The sea is what? Baekhyun, where are you?"

Baekhyun slapped his forehead. "Oh shit, I-I mean—"

"Okay. Is that what I'm hearing? Ocean waves? Are you at the beach?"

He bit his lip, not knowing what to answer. How could I even forget to tell her about this?

"Baekhyun, don't worry," Taeyeon said more gently. "I'm not mad at you. I just want to know where you are."

He sighed in relief. "I'm... I'm at Gyeongpo beach..."