Chapter 36 - The Predator and Prey

"It's coming down hard

"It's coming down hard." Dom complains. The stage crew is huddled underneath the T-Rex sculpture, hiding from the pouring rain. "We should go back to school now."

The others agree but then, they wonder where their other two members went.

"Y/n's probably with her friend from gardening Club," Fudge comments before asking, "Where did Legoshi go?"

"He left all his things here."

"Yeah, did you see Louis' face?" Kai snickers, only to be shushed by the tall peafowl. "Shush, don't be so loud!"

Further away, a mad red deer leans against a pillar, also shielded from the rain. His eyes betray his inner turmoil about the fight between him and the wolf, as well as his anger at himself for not doing more to save you. A part of him wishes he would've joined the wolf on his rescue party.

Louis is so caught up in his self-hatred, that he doesn't notice the she-wolf approaching. Leaning forward into his direction, she holds her hand to her snout and whispers, "Hey Louis?"

Taken by surprise, the stag flinches back slightly and gasps, his hard eyes now settling onto the female wolf as she continues to speak.

"I know something happened with you and Legoshi."

"Like what?" He asks annoyed.

"You're totally wrong to think I'm clueless about everything! But I admit I was surprised to find out who Legoshi's in love with." She looks away shortly, her eyes dimming. Louis regards her with caution, a small spark of pity in his chest. "So where did he go?"

"It doesn't matter," Louis mumbles after a moment of silence, his voice monotone but tinged with sorrow, "but he may not make it back."

"What? I'm being serious here-"

"It's just how it is!" He interrupts her, his eyes glaring at the ground. However, his ears perk up at her next words.

"Is that human involved, too?"

"Look, I just...sorry. I couldn't do anything to stop it. Tonight, he might die."

And truly, things did not look great for the young grey wolf. Legoshi had found the shishigumi hideout not too long ago, now hiding behind a sturdy tree as he observed the front of the building. A bridge led to it, the entire building holding a traditional Japanese appearance. Two guards stood at the front door, illuminated by the light of two lanterns.

I can't break in from the front. What do I do?

All of a sudden, the barrel of a gun presses into his back.

"A lone wolf, what a rare sight," speaks a cocky male voice from behind him, "Thought you guys always needed to travel in packs or something. Retaliation or Solicitation, doesn't matter, trespassing is forbidden."