Chapter 74 - Happy New Year

The day of New Year's Eve is a cold one

Animals left and right are bundled up in winter-fitted clothes, all of them preparing for the first sign of snow. Though as usual, the end of the year is simply graced with freezing temperatures, lacking the sparkling wonder of frozen tears from the heavens above. And much like every other New Year's Eve, the city is practically bubbling with life.

Couples prance through the streets, the same goes for joyous families that cannot wait to have their child experience their first holiday. The air amongst the vibrant buildings and constructions seems to prickle from the sheer excitement that each animal shares with each other at this time of the year. Many of them are ecstatic over what the next year might bring.

The same goes for Legoshi.

He doesn't stand out amongst the huge crowd, though his track suit makes him appear slightly out of place. Matching the rather quick pace of his fellow citizens, the young wolf marches through the city, on his way to a match that might cost his life. And whilst that should be the only thing on his mind right now, he can't help but be overwhelmed by the festive energy surrounding him.

This town sure has a lot of holiday spirit.

I haven't been outside during New Year's Eve in a long time. Now that I think about it, I would normally spend New Year's Eve with Jack. He wouldn't spend it with his parents because he didn't want to leave me in the dorm all by myself.

A memory of him and the Labrador sweeps through his mind. The both are sitting in front of the TV in the dorm, a half-empty bag of potato chips on the floor in front of them. Legoshi tiredly hugs a pillow to his chest, a thick turtle-neck sweater keeping him comfortable. Even though he's a wolf, he was never one as unbothered by the cold as the rest of his species. The TV shows a reptilian singer and Jack is smiling as he points at the screen, overjoyed to simply spend time with his best friend.

At the thought of the friendly dog, Legoshi's heart clenches painfully.

If I die tonight, Jack might be sad...he might even cry...

His mind continues its torment, bringing up memory after memory with his roommates, his fellow club members, Louis and of course, of you.

This year, I've met so many animals that I've grown to like...

I have to stay alive for them. Especially for Y/n. I can't just die without properly saying goodbye to her, can I? No, she'd think of it as rude.

Absentmindedly, he runs his clawed fingers over his new set of scars. The three slashes cover the right side of his forehead and eye and would serve as a constant reminder of this particular chapter of his life.

Exactly one hour earlier, Gouhin had taken off his bandage, seeing as it would've put him at a disadvantage during the fight. Shockingly, Legoshi had discovered that his new scars would be permanent.